Mystery transfer case

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zzrodder

It ain't grey hair, it's chrome!
I inherited this tranny and transfer case with the Packard stuff, came with bellhousing, flywheel etc to fit SB Ford, I appears to be a Ford toploader 4spd with a Hurst shifter. The transfer case says Spicer on the back, looks like it may have had an OD unit on it at one time. Is it from a Bronco maybe?? I know diddly about 4x4 stuff, wondering if it is worthy or just fragile old stuff. Also could a mainshaft and tailhousing from a car type toploader be put in it to convert it for car use?? Also came with a 3spd toploader, guessing it's from a Mustang or Falcon? Any help would be appreciated :)

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_3777.JPG
    IMG_3777.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3776.JPG
    IMG_3776.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3775.JPG
    IMG_3775.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3774.JPG
    IMG_3774.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3773.JPG
    IMG_3773.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 37
You are right about the Jeep connection. Some Googling led me to find that it is likely a Spicer 18, may have had an OD on the back or a PTO - or just a tin cover. Found pics of it with a Ford toploader 4 speed but no info on what it may have come in. There looks to be an adaptor plate between the Ford case and the Spicer unit. As far as I can tell, the old Broncos didn't come with this transfer case, so where does this setup come from??

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• dana_18_transfer_case.jpg
    dana_18_transfer_case.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 29
  • ford_toploader_tc_burien.jpg
    ford_toploader_tc_burien.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 28
Jeep used the twin stick transfer case, but I think their transmission had internal linkage, at least the couple I had did.

This unit was installed in an old IHC Scout with a 302 Ford by someone long ago...
It's certainly a Jeep transfer case, with the inline outputs, what mystifies me is the Ford toploader 4 spd on it. Now that I think about it, I knew a guy in the 70's that put a 302 Ford in a military flat fender Jeep, and used a kit to adapt to the Spicer transfer case, he also added the overdrive unit - I'll bet this is one of those kits - by the grunge on it, it's been together for a long time. I actually had a ride in it, even with a stock 302 it would do wheelies and with the military tires it was unstoppable off road, a fun toy.

I remember JC Whitney sold those adapter kits, you could get either a Ford or Chevy IIRC. You're probably on the right track with it being aftermarket.

Latest posts

Back