trans blow - from the inside

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've watched NPK and Street Outlaws and seen some tranny explosions but not like that! What gets me is those guys don't even have a tunnel on a lot of them, you can see the tranny and watch the U joints turning. They are just lucky nobodies been seriously hurt yet.

I wonder where the parts went that left the building... :confused: There would be people around there, right?

He`s dutch.... I`ll translate for you guys. He basically says; Oops, yes I know it`s broken and he was lucky and how do you turn off that camera :D

Last edited:
I used to go see a guy race years ago that mostly ran 289 Fords. He could really make them work. He decided to build a 302 back about 1970. Went all out. One time he was complaining about how much he had in a "special aluminum flywheel" and a "shatter-proof bell housing" he had ordered all the way from California:rolleyes:....well, anyway, got his 302 build done. Took it to the track. Ran a couple of light pedal passes and ran in the 10s. He told my buddy helping him in the pits that he was gonna see what it would do on his 3rd pass. Said he hit 2nd gear at 9200 when all hell broke loose...from where I was on the rail, he was just past me when it looked like a big orange halo about mid-car. That special flywheel had turned into chunks. That shatterproof bell housing probably saved his grits. When we looked back in the pits, the passenger side, rear corner of the block was gone. The bell housing was pretty much gone underneath and the front of the 4 speed was missing.

Wow!! That's Insane.

I had a c4 lockup on my way 80mph. Ripped the bell housing in half and snapped the tail shaft housing off. It messed up the floor pretty good. When it locked it rolled like a gator, tearing stuff up. When the wrecker brought it home, I kicked the center of the trans with my foot and it fell on the ground. No need to remove any bolts on that one!!

Pretty sure those exposed transmissions have s.f.i. approved cases and are legal to run that way.

Pretty sure those exposed transmissions have s.f.i. approved cases and are legal to run that way.
Yeah, they have to be. Those u joints and yokes though, I dunno. Watched a vid a while back were a guy lost the driveshaft, and even though the loop kept it from doing a pole vault, part of it came through the floor and hit his helmet pretty hard.

Latest posts

Back