Did something today I haven't done in literally decades! Changed points!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripper

Older and more rusted every day!
My '57 Ranchero was a runnin' a lil anemic so I knew what needed to be done... new points & condenser! This is the only car I own that still has points & I guess I've just been too lazy to put in a Pertronix ignition. I still have my old Sun equipment (dwell meter, timing light & vacuum gauge - the consumer version) but don't think I even own a feeler gauge anymore so I set the gap by eyeball! Turned the key & it came right back to life, runs like a champ now & starts SO easy! Yep... I've still got it!!! :eek:[ddd[ddd:eek:

Hopefully I'll never have to do that again... *ever*!!!

BoB

Hopefully I'll never have to do that again... *ever*!!!

But isn't it nice when you can. No Science major degree, or tools that require a large loan to buy are needed. Something to be said about old tech when your in a bind...or the boonies.:D

Yep a match book cover ( .017 ) is what they set at and gone in a flash :)
They still make match books, don't they [S

I run points in all my junk...I can fix points. I to still have all my old school Sun professional tools, even a bump button.

Oh yeah... forgot the kit has a bumper too!

Yep a match book cover ( .017 ) is what they set at and gone in a flash :)
They still make match books, don't they [S

Thanks... I'll reset them tomorrow using one!

BoB

Brings back memories from my childhood of my dad cussing out the instector every year after his IH pickup failed inspection. He would change points and go back the next weekend and pass. Not sure why and what changing points did. Maybe emission?

Almost everything I own has points. Never had any problems with them. Most of the time they last at least 2 years or longer before any service is required. Then it's just a clean and regap mostly. I even converted both my Harleys (Evo) over to points when the ignitions went in them. Makes 'em sound older like a shovel or pan and no rev limiter ( I hated that thing on my FXR, way too low rpm). Nothing like repairability,affordability with points as far as I'm concerned.

several of my tractors still have points, but nothing else..heck my DD doesn't even have an ignition system:D

Latest posts

Back