Junkyard A/C donor?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flipper_1938

He recycles the right way
Does anybody happen to know of a factory air conditioning unit that would be a good candidate for swapping into a 41 dodge truck? ....something that fits/works like a vintage air unit, but has a pull-a-part price.

I have been dreaming of ac forever but I can't figure out how to get it.
I am watching this thread

Might look at the rear air unit from a van or suburban,they are some what compact units.Otherwise farm equipment may be an option.

This is the unit out of my '95 Dodge Dakota. Probably too big for your needs but gives you an idea what's inside those boxes. You'll need the A/C compressor, dryer, evaporator core, blower motor and all associated vents, lines and controls. As stated, the rear unit from a van might be a good option or maybe all the above parts from something like a Geo Metro. Start hittin' the yards to see what you can make work!

Might look at the rear air unit from a van or suburban,they are some what compact units.Otherwise farm equipment may be an option.
I used one from a mid 80's Chevy van , it blows the air from under the seat and I don't get the cool air blowing in my face like you do with dash mounted vents . It cools the cab down ok , but just feels different with out that cold air blowing in your face . It certainly was cheaper , as I had the van and I knew it worked . Would I do it again ? , probably not .

I will be using the ac from my s10 in the '37 cab. The condenser will have to be behind the cab. Just have to look over the small asian cars in the junkyards for compact units. I think there are smaller units than the s10 but it is what i have. Be nifty to find one of the old roof mounted evaporators.

I would definitely look into a rear unit out of a Dodge Grand Caravan. The local Pull-A-Part had several Grand Caravans when I went a couple weeks ago. The unit itself fits behind the rear wheelwell on the passenger side, so it's pretty small. They are prone to a leak in the piping that goes to the front compressor, but you'd be replacing that line anyway to go a shorter distance.

The vents that the rear unit uses are small, so you should be able to retrofit it just about anywhere.

I don't live in a warm enough climate to want to put A/C in my rods, but if I did, it would be a Vintage Air unit. Yes, they're more expensive, but they're also smaller and engineered for exactly what you want to do. I have a vintage air compact heater in my truck and it will cook you out on low! I've never seen an A/C unit from a production vehicle that would fit well in a Hot Rod, but I hope someone has!

Down here in the South, AC is just about a necessity. The summer humidity is what gets you. I'll be using either a Vintage Air or a Southern Air AC in mine before it's done..............

Early Mustangs and full size Fords used the compact under dash units, can be used with any compressor.

weld on.........[;)

Out of curiosity, would one of those vintage units be any cheaper than a new vintage air or similar unit?

The early 60's Chevy full size cars used a similar system but they're not affordable.

Latest posts

Back