Help! Chop top windshield ...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E$rnie Pintor III

So I have a 1950 f1... It's been chopped 3 1/2 inches... I made a custom dash..... The dash goes all the way to the windshield lip that I was told the rubber needs to grab... Don't want to in do what's been done . What can I do? Can I just glue it down? What keeps it from popping out? Please help. What should I pay to have the front windshield made? I live in ca.

dont know on the un-usable lip. I chopped mine 4" but all my lip is still in place other than you cut it to fit the outer lip and glue it like the modern glass is .. (if that can be done) or maybe make another lip to weld on your dash to give the rubber a new place to sit [S

I would add a lip, if you have a look at my build, I had a windshield cut by making a template.

If you need specifics on how to make a template, message me and I'll do what I can to help you out on tips for windshields...

DR that would be better to add the lip.. if you glued it and the body shifted any it would crack the glass (I would think anyway)

So I have a 1950 f1... It's been chopped 3 1/2 inches... I made a custom dash..... The dash goes all the way to the windshield lip that I was told the rubber needs to grab... Don't want to in do what's been done . What can I do? Can I just glue it down? What keeps it from popping out? Please help. What should I pay to have the front windshield made? I live in ca.

You could make a template for the windshield so that you can urethane it in, just like a V-butt windshield, and use rubber trim that pushed in along the gap or the stuff I used actually attached to the glass edge before you urethaned it in. Mine is two-piece flat glass but is glued in solid, and we've done several that way with thousands of reliable miles on them with no issues.

DR that would be better to add the lip.. if you glued it and the body shifted any it would crack the glass (I would think anyway)

There's no concern with the glass cracking or popping out if it's been glued in properly with enough clearance between the edge. There are many hot rods done this way, and all new cars are done this way. In fact in most cases it makes the body more rigid.

I made a tamplet , took it to the glass guy. He's gonna cut the glass $125. But then I guess I need to prime and paint the edges before I glue it down... All the newer glass that is glued down has the edges painted so you don't see the glue. Guess it's gonna ba ok.... Oh yea, got a lady coming over to verafy the vin... Can't wait to get a title for the truck!

I painted the outside edge of my glass instead of inside. My glass shop gave me some primer for the glass before I urethaned it in. He sold me the urethane and rubber seal around the glass as well. Ask them for an S10 style rubber.

Latest posts

Back