350 turbo fancy dip stick

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

Has anyone used the flexible type dip stick in an automatic trans? This is the only thing I have room for in my 28 A. I had a china version, it went in good, dip stick was hard to get in and out, nothing but a really stiff wire. Went to adding fluid, that sucks with that adapter, and it leaked like crazy around the fitting at the bottom. They are all over ebay for $20 and up and they all looked the same. Lokar makes a really nice one that you have to pull the pan and install a nut on the bottom, looks like it would seal really good and the dip stick looks more flexible. It locks in also with a quick coupler deal but the cheapest one I've found is a $125. I should have planned the trans tunnel a little better.

Ordered one from Speedway, Lokar anchor type. To much money but you get what you pay for, plus I found out this is the only one you don't have to use that stupid adapter to fill the trans, regular trans funnel.

I've used several of the cable type without any issues.
I even took the cable off one and used a really long white zip tie as the indicator.
I made full and add marks on it. It worked better than any of them and you could easily see the fluid on it.

I've got one one my C10. Little thin on the center piece that takes the level of fluid and it makes it hard to read. Had one on the 31 that I put my own handle on(made of deer antler). The sleeve I used to join the antler to the rig leaked. Always outside in the weather. I had to remove that one and pump the watery fluid out of the tranny. On the 31 now I have just a shorty plug I cut a small piece of steel to make the center piece for measuring. It is one of the locking ones with the nut inside the case. No more leaks on that one.

I had to get one of the flexible ones because an oem one wouldn't fit. I never though about when I made the firewall. I had the engine in trans in place but no dip stick! Live and learn.
So I bought the cheap one first to and ended up returning it because it just wasn't right. So I got the Lokar and its a much better piece.

This one I had is a piece of crap, you had to really work at it to get the stick back in, really stiff, then fluid poured out around the fitting on the bottom although were it went in the trans with the double o rings was fine. Think I'll sleep with this Lokar one the first night when it comes in, might even fondle it a little.

Latest posts

Back