How rusty is too rusty?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molinerat

I like the look of some rust, but when is it too much? Going to look at a IH cab today and its rusted through the outside skin of the cab above the back glass. Pretty much all the way a cross. I think the inside of cab is solid, gotta see in person. Just want an opinion. Thanks[S

Depends on what you want to do with it.
If it's too bad, cut the top off, leave the windshield (maybe cut 3" out of the windshield) and make a topless truck :)

RUST?

Well all depends on the area that needs replaced.
How hard is it going to be to repair that "BAD" area?
Is that area a double walled area?
Is it a structural area?
Is the repaired area going to be accessible for a grinder to make it look good!

And most of all HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE TO WELD ?[;)
That's my $.02

I rebuilt this one.. had a lot of ROT.. but was pretty straight...

SecondCab.jpg

After I cut all the rot out this is what was left of the floor!

Trucknofloor.jpg

This one you can see where I cut the whole back panel out and replaced it.. i replaced both the cab corners and the lower cowel as well

Repairedrearskin.jpg

chop.jpg

Anyway... after rebuilding and chopping this cab... i feel much more confident in my body work skills.. so I will be that much better for the next one

Good luck.. !

It also depends on how ratty you want it lto look in the end. If it's non-structural stuff, you could just patch it with something interesting like copper sheet or license plates.

Well, I seen it in person, now more confused than ever. Comes with a good SWB S10 frame, good useable bedsides and tailgate, but the cab is rougher than I originally thought. And the price is probably right. I just need to decide exactly how rusty (or ratty) that I can stand. I like the patina and this truck is all matching patina.:confused:[S

Like the guys said... it all depends on if you think it's kool & wanna save it. As Corpo's post shows... a lil metal, a lil welding & off ya go! Got any pictures?!

BoB

It has perfect matching patina and I'm not building a show truck. Just really confused as what to do. I know its just metal and it can be replaced, but I like the look of original, matching patina as well as a show paint job.[S

That is perfect rat rod material. I wouldn't even worry about the rust around the rear window. Looks good to me as long as the price is right! Like you said, you're not building a show truck and the bed's worth good money too!

Beercan

You can have fun with that, I will have to look and see how far Cadiz is from Shelbyville. I am only blessed with a carport and driveway to work in so If I get that T frame tomorrow I have to hide it from the wife til the other repairs are completed. Yeah build that truck, there is a lot to work with.

Shelbyville is a pretty good hop from Cadiz. I've been there with our pulling tractors before. I'm trying to figure out how I can get it loaded.

low down

After going to look at the truck I made an offer to the BOY when I got home, $300. He said if I come get it tomorrow, its a deal. 5 minutes ago I get a text from him backing out. Says his dad "bought" it from him because he didn't want him to sell it so cheap. Oh well, the search goes on.:mad:

Latest posts

Back