What to get done when you are broke?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesgs4

Ok so at the moment I have $0 to invest in my rat. The frame is roller status with the cab just sitting on the frame. Anything I can do in the meantime to make progress without spending money? Maybe Im just feeling lazy because I have "builders block"?

Last edited:
First of all that's a mean looking start ya have there! :cool:

As to what you can do with zero dollars....are there any dent's you plan on pounding out or rust you plan to cut out? If so grab a hammer and dolly or a pair of snips. Have you scraped or wire brushed everything you plan to? Are there rusted bolts that you still need to remove? If so be soaking those. Sometimes when I get to a point like this I give the garage a good cleaning and reorganizing and it gives me time to think and plan for when I do have some money. Not much but hope it helps. :cool:

I hate to say it but
I have plenty of stuff I could do to mine for free
But it is all the crap I really don't want to do.
Insulate the cab
Bondo
Sanding
Yuck!
No wonder it still hasn't been done ;)

stuff to do

if you have a lot of parts for the build you can do mock up.

when l run low on funds l put in the motor/trans just check the fit, cleaned up the shop, put in the seat/s to find out if l will be comfy in it, do inventory to see what you have/need, if you have the steering stuff mock it in to find the best driving position, call friends to see if there is any thing they are getting rid of or can trade for that you need, test fit the body parts/doors to see if they need any massaging to work right, double check every thing and clean up parts if they need it.

make a list of what needs done and find some things that need done that don't take any/much money, you would be surprised at how many little things you can find that need done.

SIT IN IT & MAKE VROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM NIOSES:rolleyes:

Later:cool:

Broke, is there anything besides that? [ddd

I can only add, when you clean up the shop, take inventory, anything you don't/won't need, sell or trade for what you do need. I've sold several pieces off of my car because I was replacing them with something else.

I really have nothing more to add as I do what others have already suggested, clean the garage, clean up parts etc. I know its not car related but I have done this in the past, is spend a little extra time with the mrs so that when I do have money I have a little surplus of brownie points then have some extra time and money.... but maybe that only works on my wife.

spend a little extra time with the mrs so that when I do have money I have a little surplus of brownie points then have some extra time and money.... but maybe that only works on my wife.

Yup. A weekend breakfast outing is the ticket for me. I don't have to hear "that stupid car" for a few weeks.

cool, the garage is getting a much needed cleaning now. making a plan to get my donor camaro brought over from storage so I can steal the drivetrain out of it. and going to do some welding on the chop to finish the gaps. Just needed some motivation to do stuff, thanks fellas.

Easy...just spend the mortgage payment and then stress about paying it back later! [cl

or pound dents, wire wheel, etc

Latest posts

Back