RaTT Rod w/the mighty 300 Ford inline

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLouisJ

1925 Model TT (Ton Truck) frame makes it a RaTT Rod. At the perfect moment I stumbled across a rebuilt 70's 300 engine. C/L and swap meets parts later: Chromed Ford valve cover, Offenhauser dual plane, Edelbrock 500cfm carb,Ford FI split exhaust, oil cooler from a Pratt & Whitney radial engine. C4 and 9" behind it. Runs great. No drive line yet which is OK because the brakes aren't hooked up yet either. :) TLJ

Attachments

• Rat 300 010.jpg
    Rat 300 010.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Rat 300 022.jpg
    Rat 300 022.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 104
  • image003 (2).jpg
    image003 (2).jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 101
  • RaTT os 7.jpg
    RaTT os 7.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 93
Looks good..Very dependable engine..Some friends of mine had trucks with 300"s. and the only bad thing I ever heard them say about it was that it drinks as much fuel as a v8.

Looks good..Very dependable engine..Some friends of mine had trucks with 300"s. and the only bad thing I ever heard them say about it was that it drinks as much fuel as a v8.

I can attest to that, i have a 96 F150, fuel injection and O.D. and highway is about 14 mgp. My 302 V8 did 16 :(

TLouisJ
Your build is looking good, keep it up [;)

I'm pretty sure the original design/engineering was Hudsons answer to the OHV while still keeping the inline they were so famous for. Ford somehow ended up with it when Hudson Packard Nash Rambler got absorbed into into some sort of mish mash AMC in the mid 50s, Super bottom end & crank, a main cap for each rod. In the mid-late 60s I Had a buddy in high school that had a twin carbed Flat head inline Hudson that would would run with the pony cars. It wasn't the cool step down though, it looked like a bloated 53 chevy, and was ridiculed off hand. We rode around in regularly though because it ran when most of me n my buddies cars didn't. I believe the dounside is the head, and if some flow work/computer time were dedicated to it, the I6 would kick butt. In the late 60s there was a T based drag car with a 300 that had exhaust trumpets sticking straight up and it would make an ungodly shriek running the 1/4--it was very similar to the sound of a 2 stroke v 12 Detroit diesel without a muffler.

Ran a lot of them, loved them, now I'm over it. My last one was in a 92 F250 with a ZF. 260 comp cam, Offy C, 390 Holly, efi exhaust. Sweet to drive, 12 mpg, coulda been running a 460 with real power for that kind of guzzling.
You can't port the head enough to get real horsepower it's capable of. A few of them that really screamed used a home made head with six 351 Cleveland head sections furnace brazed together. The guys who made the cross flow for the 250 were supposed to be coming out with a 300 head but never did.
Back around 1980 (when the speed limit was 55) Dad and I both had new ones that would rock on 20 mpg. IMHO, stock carbed ones were great but it costs just as much to rod one as a V8, with a lot less results. But then a lot of people never spent so much money to go so slow as when they built a flatty too.

RaTT 300

I guess the point is that it's not a small or big block V8 anything. Also,changes one would do to raise HP would raise the torque range accordingly. Stock with stock intake/carb the max torque comes in at under 2000 rpm. I've seen figures of 260 ft lbs at 1700 rpm. Even the Edelbrock/Offenhauser/split exhaust that I have on it will change that somewhat. Don't care. I've had scary fast cars before, and I'm over it at my age (67). Still have my old '41 Dodge pickup with a '71 440 in it that I ran turbocharged for years.
The RaTT with the mighty 300 will still be a neck popper.Except for being a mile long, it sure fits in there fine. Started with a Flathead V8, but when it proved unworthy, I started hunting for an engine. Found the 300 cheap and thought hmmm.....that woud be different. :) TLJ

If I could get a big six I'd definitely use one. They have their own style and sound, and look cool as f**k. A little mild forced induction would overcome any cylinder head resistance to flow.

I have a generic SBC in my hot rod, but where I live you have to use what is available.

A little mild forced induction would overcome any cylinder head resistance to flow.

I think that's true. There's a lot of twin turbo 5.0 projects on the web to use as turbo and carb sizing that should apply to the big six. It should in theory be a runner, and the look would be there.

Latest posts

Back