ign switch and alt problems

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No fix-it shops left here, either. :(

I've been lucky (on the odd occasion) to find a relatively new or reman at the local pick-and-pull...

We have a local guy down the road that can fix just about anything, Motors, generators, alternators, old voltage regulators, you name it. He brings us armatures from time to time to be trued up in the lathe so, there's an occasional trade. Fortunate to know him for sure.

Most of those guys are now gone around here too! You're lucky if you know somebody still doing it. I used to know a guy with an alternator shop. You could carry him a bad core and he'd rebuild it cheap. You could bring him a regular alternator and for $35 he'd turn it into a one-wire. My preference is the one-wire because it simplifies some wiring...

The shop I used for years is that way, owner died, his son, who was in it with him for years, still runs it, but only works when he wants to. Hard to catch him anymore. I have dropped off a alternator or starter and in a couple of hours they'd have it as good as new. Now, drop it off, come back next week and hope it's ready, not good if it's really needed. Prices have came down so much with the off shore made stuff, you can buy a new one almost as cheap as getting one fixed.

I fixed the proble

Well I did get anew alternator and it did not fix the problem , got discussted put the cover on the truck and went on to other less stressful projects , planning to work on it over the winter . Winter came but my desire did not . Now it is show time again and we thought we would give it another try . Good bud with a lift said bring it on down and let's see if we can fix it . Gave the battery a good slow charge and drove it to his place . After checking it every way possible known to man we could not find any draw . So we hooked every thing back up made a good tight connection on the neg battery terminal , checked the reading on the meter ( 12.87 ) .and shut the operation down for the night .
Later that evening my bud went out to the garage to get something and he heard the air bag system pump running - we knew we had an air leak and we're going to address that after fixing the draw down problem .well the air pump was not wired thru the switch and when parked it would come on and off till the battery went down . We rewired it thru the switch. It has now been sitting for 36 hours and the battery has not gone down. The air also has not leaked out ,so maybe while moving stuff around we fixed the air leak also . Man did I sleep good last night .

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back