ruff ride

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinman

ok guys ..37 ford with 302 5sp,,stock front end with gas shocks from speedway..ride is ruff,,pulled 1 leaf out lubed everthing up good,,with out shocks hooked up ,I can bounce the front nice , bolt them down its tight,,i put lowering shackles from socal on front spring dropped it 2 inchs put smaller bump stops on it.. it hits the stops..with the stiff shocks. sooo do I put the stock shackles back on lift the front back up that will give me more room for the bump stops, put softer shocks on and put a drop axle in it ? or give up an go mustang cross member an start over? wanted to keep the old skool frontend,,,but ride is crappie..what im I missing if I go with mustang cross member will all the parts from 87 GT front end bolt on ? I have the hole k frame out of the parts car, want to get the ride right before winter tear down changed out rear springs that's good now ..but got to get some kind of ride out of the front ..any help would be BIG!! thanks vicne

What type of shocks? They should only dampen the action of the spring, not increase it's resistance.

Regardless, get rid of those shackles. It's likely they could be limiting your travel. Put a good dropped axle under it and check all your geometry throughout the range of travel. A properly assembled transverse leaf front end can ride surprisingly well, so you have an issue somewhere...

What type of shocks? They should only dampen the action of the spring, not increase it's resistance.

Regardless, get rid of those shackles. It's likely they could be limiting your travel. Put a good dropped axle under it and check all your geometry throughout the range of travel. A properly assembled transverse leaf front end can ride surprisingly well, so you have an issue somewhere...

I had all of this and my ride still was not what I wanted . Went on the HAMB and searched Billstein Shocks , there is a guy on there who sells them and has a lot to say about how much shocks affect ones ride . Yes they are expensive , but I bit the bullet and bought a pair . Difference between night and day , best $ I ever spent . Worked for me . Was amazed at how many people who , when they saw them on my rat , commented on how much they had done for their ride quality . Never had any one tell me they were sorry they spent the money .

With the lowering shackles, you've given it less room to travel so you need to put that leaf back in to stiffen it up. Sounds like your shocks might be too long or something is causing the shocks to bind?

How about a picture?

Drop axle is your best solution.

thanks for the info guys !! I will get some pic asap..any body have a set of stock shackles? I chopped mine up to mock a set of longer one up to see if it dropped the front..so they are junk now..i see some with the lower shock mount built into it .is this what I should get ?

Latest posts

Back