73 datsun 610 turbo LS1 build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about entering in the imoprt wars but they are trying to ban even japenese V8's due to them being to fast![S

so I got a chance to get some more done on "frankenstien" as my wife calls it. the tubs are 34"X9" trailer fenders. $12.50 ea. I put a little bead roller action on the filler panels as I hate hearing the oil can noise. Started to make the rear tin work out of a spare shelf I found at the dump. [cl

datsun4.jpg

datsun3.jpg

I know you probably thought of this but please tell me you are gonna put some fish plates on those frame rails. I would hate to see those frame rails fold up with 600hp going to that rear end.

the frame still needs to be tied into the front subframes and into the main cage structure. They will be plenty strong then. After I get the steering situated it has to go up on the lift to finish welding the underside and add any reinforcements that are needed. [;)

Guess i have been slackin. But now that I have more time I have almost finished the tin work in the trunk around the fuel cell. I can now mount my rear brakes and finish the rack. I will get pics here shortly. [;)[S

I'm just seeing this thread now, I really love this build, great job!
I'm a little biased however after building mostly nissan/datsuns the past 10 years or so.

This is bring back some memories!! was right into the little car big engine thing..hell still am!! bbc in a T bucket!! anyway has a sbs in a chevette some 15 years ago.. had a blast build it.. Had buld a number of cars like this.. always cool..great job and Ill be watching this closely.

so I got some time to myself in the garage on the Datsun project. I took a set of free dented C6 Vette headers, cut them apart, and built my own turbo headers with them. There will be a Y pipe that brings them together under the turbo. [;)

I also finished the tin work in the trunk and mounted the steering rack. Made my steering shaft too. [cl[;)

old header
vetteheader.jpg

passengers side tacked up
passturboheader.jpg

Drivers side. Very tight engine bay!
driversturboheader.jpg

I'm a Newb to this forum but am on a ton of others... Anyways I hate an old thread being bumped up from the past for no reason but figured asking for an update on the latest progress with the Datsun wouldn't **** anybody off.
Cheers.

Lol! No worries about that here. We all play nice and there is no bashing on the RRR. No new news on it just now. I am waiting on a 5/8 - 18 RH tap to finish the tie rod ends. Then it will roll on its own![;)

Looks cool Im diggin it

Your running too much wire speed or not enough heat on your welds though. Like the overhead and verticles on the crossmember see how they look like the puddle wanted to drop out?
When the base metal is melted just right and the wire speed and the ehat range are set just right..and your moving your hand fast enough the puddle will suck right into the base metal against gravity.
I could never get it right until someone who could took my hand and said watch me..I'm going to teach your hand and your hand is going to teach you.
We won't talk about my stick welding vertical and overhead it's pathetic.
Nice to see someone getting something done
Mike

So with the wife taking over the managing of my side work shop I now have way more time to work on my own stuff. Go up today and she said "Today you work on the Datsun. Get going!" Yes maam! So I knocked out the rear firewall and finished the major floor section. Still need to make some removable caps for the upper link mounts and trim the seat back brace.

2012-10-12_14-06-18_891.jpg

Wow!!! most people would of found the rust and gave up. Nice work. things gonna rock!!! I love the reuse of odd parts and various scrap items.

Wow!!! most people would of found the rust and gave up. Nice work. things gonna rock!!! I love the reuse of odd parts and various scrap items.

Thanks! If I wasn't interested in fixing rust I wouldn't A: live in NH and B: be on this board![cl

Nice work on the interior pieces!

Thanks! Seems a shame all of this will be covered by a seat...

And today I finally finished the tie rod ends so now the rack is connected to the spindles.

Latest posts

Back