Hi, my name is brian

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must be a different breed. I love the comforts of modern era cars. Don't get me wrong, I like driving old stuff because it is fun but, I don't really want to go anywhere far away in something old, it wears me out. I guess I'm Zsa Zsa Gabor on Green Acres. Heated seats, adaptive cruise control, air suspension and oh man you haven't lived until you experience a heated steering wheel on a cold morning!

I must be a different breed. I love the comforts of modern era cars. Don't get me wrong, I like driving old stuff because it is fun but, I don't really want to go anywhere far away in something old, it wears me out. I guess I'm Zsa Zsa Gabor on Green Acres. Heated seats, adaptive cruise control, air suspension and oh man you haven't lived until you experience a heated steering wheel on a cold morning!
Those things are all fine and dandy until they stop working. That's the problem with these newer cars is it's all electronic. They're a different breed. Don't get me wrong my Duramax I own and pull our camp trailer with has a lot of amenities and it is nice. But given the option I would rather freeze my butt off driving my old highboy in the snow then my new traction control ridden truck that thinks it knows how to drive better than I do hahaha

Those things are all fine and dandy until they stop working. That's the problem with these newer cars is it's all electronic. They're a different breed. Don't get me wrong my Duramax I own and pull our camp trailer with has a lot of amenities and it is nice. But given the option I would rather freeze my butt off driving my old highboy in the snow then my new traction control ridden truck that thinks it knows how to drive better than I do hahaha

My modern pickup won't do a burnout because the computer has a torque-limiting function. Things on modern cars like heated seats and HVAC are wired in a complex way, as are even headlights and taillights. My wife's daily has the headlights wired through the computer and it varies voltage to the low beam so they can use the low beam for daytime running lights and low beams.

I like when it's power and ground to something and a switch controls one of those. Modern vehicles have become excessively complex. That relates to fuel economy too, because they're way heavier because of the excess systems.

My truck doesn't need to do a burnout, and as long as things wired in a complex way work then it's fine. When they don't work it's a problem, though, and it just means the driver has less control and stuff is harder to fix.

We own two 2019 vehicles, a Ram Classic (4th Gen), and a Honda CR-V. So I am on discussion forums for those vehicles, and almost everything that gets discussed there is a computer related issue. And yeah, it's all very complicated. I've been tempted to make comments on those sites about that everything is working great on mine, just to see something positive there once in awhile.
All of our vehicles except my 46 Plymouth are automatics. I still don't trust them. Every time there's a lurch or a hard shift, I'm thinking, Oh no, the transmission is going to give out. (I DO have to admit that a heated steering wheel would be nice. Don't use the heated seat on the CR-V. It makes me feel like I had a leak down there - that warm feeling.....)

Back when I worked on cars for a living, people would ask me what's the best car. My standard answer was to drive or to fix? I think that's what it comes down to. I don't mind all the electronics if I don't feel obligated to fix them when something goes wrong. So, I justify paying the experts to fix the things I can't handle with the money I save fixing the things I can.

Latest posts

Back