1950 Stude Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you're moving right along!

Safety note, when I work under a dash or underneath something like that I wear safety Goggles as much as I can. Those are the ones that suction to your face and are sealed all around. You look silly, but I had to make an emergency room visit once because I was working under the dash of my 46 with safety glasses on, and when I got up a piece of grunge that had fallen on my face dropped behind my glasses and secured itself to my eyeball. Couldn't flush it out, a doctor needed to remove it with tweezers. Fun!

Looks like you're moving right along!

Safety note, when I work under a dash or underneath something like that I wear safety Goggles as much as I can. Those are the ones that suction to your face and are sealed all around. You look silly, but I had to make an emergency room visit once because I was working under the dash of my 46 with safety glasses on, and when I got up a piece of grunge that had fallen on my face dropped behind my glasses and secured itself to my eyeball. Couldn't flush it out, a doctor needed to remove it with tweezers. Fun!

Yes, I know better too. �� I was wearing a face shield but it was so scratched up I could'nt see any thing and the new shield kept coming off because of the curve. However, yesterday I did wear goggles like you said! With the vacuum cleaner hose close by.
I have had too many things flushed out of my eyeballs.

Last edited:
Finally finished the bottom of the Champion and ready to put the body back on the frame. I cut off the heads off some bolts and used them as guide pins to get the body back in position.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for the next installment for the Stude. Didn't expect it would be this epic. Looks really good. The stance.

These 'ol Studes had so much character and the Studebaker history went all the way back to covered wagons. Really cool that you have had this car for so long and now getting it together. There was a bullet nosed 4 dr Stude that showed up in my home town with Texas plates. It had the California rake with the nose on the pavement and the rear up with the scavenger pipes below the axle. The stance made it look short and cartoony. Made a lifelong impression on me. :)
Just an old man story i thought i would add in here. :)

Look'n good. That's not easy installing a car body. I like those channel attach points up front. Similar deal in back perhaps [S :D

After lifting the body I should have welded a brace between them. They did pull inwards some. But it got the job done and learned a few things. The back I bolted a 3' long angle underneath the trunk and attached a chain to it.

Thanks everyone! This car has been a lifelong project and unforntunately for it it has been pushed to the side for so many other projects! But can almost see a light at the end of the tunnel.

Yesterday, after I rested up from putting the body back on with my wife's help (she's awesome) I aligned the body on the frame just using 2 floor jacks and long 2X6s. Everything went back where it was supposed too. Not bad for a 68 year old! Car not me!

6 bolts to the frame and 3 outriggers on each side. 18 bolts hold the body on.

Exhaust hangs just right!

Stance should drop a little more once everything is put back together.

Latest posts

Back