49 chevy truck booger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote to keep the rear glass as is, and yes it does have charter, the windshield came out very nice. [;)

Thumbs Up to your daughter and you and your wife. Good parents most always end up with good kids. [cl

I vote to keep the bullet holes. Definitely adds a lot of character and ties into the holes in the cab. Almost like you were high tailing it outta your girlfriend's drive with her not so happy father in high persuit. Might have to take my 357m to the rear glass in mine once I get it cut and installed.

keep the holes and just clear packing tape inside and outside just to cover them.... wind and water you know[P

steering day. I use borgeson stuff because being cheap on steering is just dumb. I use the collapsible two piece shaft, and its just barely too long to fit perfectly, but you will want to cut about 4.5 inches off the 3/4 side so that the collapsible part works as intended. I always hook up the box side first
IMG_3418_zps6dmywscu.jpg

make sure you dont jam the shaft all the way through the ujoint, that will likely keep it from functioning as a u joint, pull the shaft back so it doesnt stick through the joint. see the air in the joint?
IMG_3424_zps7frgicui.jpg

THIS right here, THIS is why I use the collapsible shaft. hooking it up is so easy with about 6" of extra length (the collapsible length pulled all the way out) rather than crawling on the floorboard trying to get the set screws and jam nuts set
IMG_3419_zpsie5zdhma.jpg

the s10 column end is just barely to big to fit the 1" DD ujoint, a little grinding is needed.
IMG_3420_zpsiyu4xn5v.jpg

I stopped taking pictures but the column is in for what may be the last time, the front clip is bolted on completely, the rear brake line hooked up. I have the 03 spindles drug in the garage, currently deciding between switching the spindles or just bolting on the calipers and pads. I do have to take the passenger spindle off to reset the spring, and retrieve a wrench that fell in the frame when I took the motor mounts off. tomorrow I will get the line adapters to hook up the master cylinder and mount the condenser/radiator.

ok, I will make them stay I guess

I didnt get a lot done yesterday, a week ago I buried the 4x4 up to the axles. in the back yard. a 15 inch deep trench, two of them really, about 30 feet long by the time I got free. my wife was thrilled. I came home and my neighbor volunteered to hit it with his tiller. helluvaguy
IMG_0373_zps7ta1wclk.jpeg

then my 41 finally showed up.
IMG_3433_zpsmphpnckv.jpg

IMG_3435_zpsqkoxmdq4.jpg

so today I stated by pulling a couple parts off the 41, then ran for the brake parts. I am going to post this in its entirety because I have seen a lot of threads about ABS removal but not a lot of info. I started by calling up the diagram of the brake system at
http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=432593&ukey_product=10493315

this was a good resource because it showed all the lines and fittings, and labels them pretty completely too. I had to look up a few fittings (googled the part number) but in the end I ended up with this
Scan%202%20copy_zps0dl38oqg.jpg

in their infinite wisdom, GM decided to flip the sizes used on the master cylinder vs the abs, meaning the rear out on the master cylinder is a 9/16 -18 1/4" and the rear out on the ABS is a 1/2 -20 1/4". the front out on the master cylinder is a 1/2 -20 3/16" and on the ABS is a 9/16 -18 3/16". another funny abnormality is that the forward (towards the grille) port on the master is the REAR output and the rearward port is the FRONT output, effectively backwards of most other GM build in 40 years. funny funny stuff GM.

you can see on the sheet I took a stab at determining what adapters I would need, a 9/16 -18 to 1/2 -20 and then a tee with all the different front sizes adapted to it. the first I found easily enough at autozone. however the second, I even went to the main auto parts distributor in town and nobody makes a 3/16 tube tee with anything but a 3/16 standard port. this is a problem because there also isnt anything such as a 9/16 -18 3/16" tube female to 3/16" tube adapter, nor a 7/16 -24 to 3/16. crap.

so I got a 1/2 -20 3/16" male to 3/16 female master cylinder adapter (they make it that direction), a short length of 3/16th tube with 3/16 fittings (to go from master to tee), a 3/16 tee, and TWO DAMN 3/16 FITTINGS to replace the wacky shack fittings on the front lines. I hate flaring brake lines.

but it works.
IMG_3446_zps9a3mom6f.jpg

I have to clean it all up, none of the lines are tight, need the tee to face up. but that is a monkey off my back, and I hope the parts list helps someone else.
IMG_3447_zpslt7vfxci.jpg

I pulled the latch apron to do some work on an air diverter. I want airflow through the rad not around it. the original diverter will work a little but I figure a nice abs plastic piece will make it really nice.
IMG_3429_zpsp1atfjnb.jpg

I tried pounding out some of the grille damage but I dont have a ballpeen or pick, so it may stay the way it is.
IMG_3428_zpsvcps2pd2.jpg

so hot. but I have to get some stuff moved around, the other 41 and 49 are showing up soon and I would rather have a neatly organized project pile to pull from than rotting trucks laying around the yard. first step was the 46 in the driveway. it was 101 yesterday, 85% humidity so 107 heat index, but this is not the time to be timid.

pulled the hood, learned a lot
IMG_3535_zpsaasb4sto.jpg

pulled the front clip. in 70 years you would not believe how many fasteners get replaced. I got pretty used to pulling a bolt/nut, trying the next one and running inside for a new wrench/socket. after only a few times (8) I just drug out the sets. used my learning from working on the 49 to wrestle the clip by myself.
IMG_3536_zpsjkktkxzm.jpg

hours later I got the cab loose. I tried saving the steering but it would not separate and I did not have enough lift to get the cab over the column. I did save the pedals though, which will help the guy who buys the rolling chassis.
50 dollar cherry picker doing work
IMG_3543_zps4nubp2sp.jpg

50 dollar 8k lb body cart earning its keep
IMG_3549_zpsafyqrxyt.jpg

today it rained a little so I moved inside to the 49. I had mentioned earlier that one of my special headlights broke. since I use the 98-03 s10 donors for their bused electrical system and superior engine management, there is an issue with the headlights. there are separate high and low beam bulbs, and the 47-55 trucks use a single headlight with three wires. most times this isnt a problem because the two bulbs usually share a ground. but on 98-03 s10, the grounds are not shared, and can even have varying voltage on the ground for DRL. so you need 4 discrete wires, you cant combine the grounds or even share the grounds.

on my 65 (98 donor) I used a 7" HID headlight that had an HID low beam and a second H1 bulb for high beam, and after a lot of trial and blown fuses realized that the back of the headlight was metal, not plastic, and was sharing the ground I thought I was doing so well to keep separate. I fixed that with an H3 bulb that isolated the wiring. but those headlights are no longer made and are very expensive when you do find them
IMG_9009.jpg

IMG_9003.jpg

on the 47, I ended up with regular three wire sealed beams that I isolated the wiring with 4 relays, two per headlight. not exactly the best solution either. especially since the relay coil ate up the lower voltage of the drl, which was the whole point, to have that dull yellow old-timey glow when running.
IMG_9331_zpst65ghz9j.jpeg

The headlights I broke were something I got 15+ years ago on a whim, they had a spot for an H4 and another spot for an H1 driving light, and a plastic reflector. I had seen similar lights but they all had an amber section at the bottom for the driving light, not exactly in line with an old truck appearance. they were french made and really high quality. I managed to find another manufacterer of a similar light, made in india, bot quite as nice, but same triple bowl design (fits a small city light at the top). I wanted to use them directly with their own mounts but they stick out a bit.

IMG_3547_zps7llheq3s.jpg

IMG_3545_zpsvxcgvixd.jpg

IMG_3544_zpsv4je4vf1.jpg

so I will trim the mounting and make them fit the original buckets, probably for the best anyway since without the bucket water would probably pour out the cracks around the light when in the rain

maybe more in a bit, my wife is with her uncle at a screening so me and beeps are playing

got a little more done, started boxing in the inners which did wonders for the fender stiffness.
IMG_3550_zpsq2t11vgt.jpg

IMG_3551_zps4fm1wsxz.jpg

I didnt get a picture but the other side is done. this side still needs finished, to let the AC lines come through.

I picked up some kydex last week, I was familiar with this when I was a product development engineer in aerospace. its what side panels in aircraft (baggage compartments in expensive aircraft, passenger compartments in less expensive aircraft) are made of. wichita is home to a fabulous place called The Yard, whos slogan is "they have it at The Yard!" and its true. they get scrap material from all the local manufacturers, everything you could think of, stainless, aluminum, foam, abs, lexan, plexi, fabrics, even used but not used up bits and tools that dont pass high standard QA any longer. its about an acre site and they have some of everything, we are so lucky!

anyway, kydex, its a high strength plastic sheet with high thermal resistance and high flexibility properties. I figured it was perfect to make an air director out of to force air through the ac condenser and radiator. I used the latch panel as the starting pattern and trimmed it up, screwed it in. even abs would have cracked at some of these bends or at the screw holes, this stuff just took it. behold my $5 air director. it aint easy being cheesy.

IMG_3553_zps3fcfdig2.jpg

IMG_3554_zpsuxfktefn.jpg

finished up the passenger side. I left the area where the ac fittings will attach open so that I could cover it with rubber instead of trying to get wrenches in the area when servicing.
IMG_3555_zpscxpzrt0p.jpg

drivers side
IMG_3556_zpsoy1mi6mu.jpg

for a sanity check I installed the rad at the furthest position rearward and installed a broken clutch fan I had laying around. WHEW!
IMG_3557_zpslik651hg.jpg

it was hot in the garage and I needed some paint, so I took a drive to see a truck my friend spotted for me. nice truck, good sheetmetal but three dollar signs when I had only two (yelp reference)
IMG_3565_zpsbkj4r0rn.jpg

paint (painted the steering shaft too)
IMG_3576_zpsvmiwr27t.jpg

IMG_3577_zps1grkwhj9.jpg

after dinner I decided to mount the fuseblock, kyle used rod and washers to mount the one on the 47 but I didnt have any. I thought I would see if I could do it out of sheetmetal since I had a bunch, but my tin snipping hands were sore from the inners. I dug out my old nibbler, which I dont really like using because of the little half moons of death that end up everywhere. I put it over a bucket though so it caught most if not all.
IMG_3582_zpsznvyxa2n.jpg

IMG_3580_zpshuctqv9q.jpg

I cut a strap of some 20ga and then used my vise as a box brake to bend up the mounting areas. the forward one was easy but the rear is angled, I got it on the first try if you can believe it though. I welded up the mounts and folded a couple spots over for some stiffness too
IMG_3578_zpszmj8yyvv.jpg

IMG_3579_zpsxhdhdqek.jpg

IMG_3583_zps3aog8f5j.jpg

I held it in the rough position and used my cardboard skills to make some legs to mount it.
IMG_3584_zpspersvm0o.jpg

IMG_3585_zpsfiyh4f1l.jpg

a coat of paint will do wonders and it will screw to the fender instead of weld to it so if I ever need access I will have it.

I have done a bunch of work but nothing picture worthy. all the brake lines are tight, I have new calipers rotors pads and rubber lines on the front brakes. DID YOU KNOW that if you use hard front lines off a blazer that the fittings are the smaller 3/16 size? I needed a second trip to the parts store because the s10 are the larger fitting size. same length and banjo though, so I will just make a note for the eventual purchaser.
I also installed a brand new sway bar, this frame didnt come with one and the one from the engine/harness donor was bent. a couple years ago a guy was selling an aftermarket bar and energy suspension sway bar bushing and end link kit with some drop blocks I wanted, its just been on the shelf. fits perfect, I cant remember the brand though. its not belltech, who else makes them? maybe djm...
speaking of belltech I got a used set of 3" springs, new 3" angled blocks, and 4 new nitro drop shocks on a short drive the other day. I decided the 3" springs were a bit more than I wanted but the nitro shocks will be a nice upgrade, usually I install mid line monroes.
I did get the headlight buckets trimmed out for the headlights which LOOK FABULOUS by the way!
IMG_3653_zpsqnmme6zb.jpg

the ring isnt all the way down, its very tight, but it will be stunning. the flat lenses are a great modern looking upgrade without looking flashy in my probably dumb opinion.

the rest of the week I was cleaning the driveway, I got the 54 235 separated from the frame after there was only interest in the motor. three guys said "I am on the way" and only one showed up. he is putting it in a 41, so we made our deal and he needed a seat. I had one from the critter mobile in the back yard so we traded. he got a 41 seat and I got

IMG_3667_zpswkvogsti.jpg

he even delivered. I am overjoyed because it is roughly the color (inside and tailgate, I will use the oven cleaner trick to get the yellow and black off) of that 49 GMC I bought recently and needed fenders for. so Hussey, if you are reading, I now have your pick of TWO chevy tailgates (a red one or a blue one) I could trade for that red GMC tailgate on your Albert. wink wink.

he wanted the frame at first and then didnt. I told him to come get it and scrap it for me.

I will be working on the gauges this week as time allows. I think instead of using labels that will read backwards anyway, I am going to sand and paint the rusty parts with the interior color and make red and blue hash marks in the right range. it sounds chintzier than I actually have envisioned, so be patient!

thanks!

got off my butt and flipped the truck around to finish up the rear plumbing and wiring. sits PERFECT in the front with the drop springs.
IMG_3705_zpssyzxveoi.jpg

in the back I cut off the bumpstops. I found what worked best was to slice across the face of the bumpstop bracket then pry it off with the big crowbar I found in my driveway after the construction guys left.
IMG_3703_zps3dbmtwpz.jpg

got the evap canister mounted and the rest of the gas lines hooked up. installed 3" angled blocks
IMG_3702_zpsdwhjkewm.jpg

its not NEARLY low enough. I cant figure it out, I put a 3" drop on the front so this should be close, and its not even a little close. (its on jackstands here but really only up about two inches from where it sits)
IMG_3706_zpsyeukgipz.jpg

so I guess tomorrow when I drop off the driveshaft to be shortened I will take the extra set of springs I have and have them dearched 2 inches.

I got the headlights fingered out too. I spent a lot of time cutting the bucket to fit and instead of going through that hassle with the other side, I decided to use the mounts that came with the lights from the BACKside, this keeps them from sticking out so far and lets me cut the stock bucket ring so the chrome bezel fits perfect. no pics, but I am on a tear so watch out.

sure will, but its at least 3 inches too tall currently. the rake reminds me of the air jacker shocks guys used to run.

I am de-arching the springs 2 inches. I have 6.5 inches between the frame and the axle, its sobering. although it occurs to me that I didnt jump on the rear end after installing the blocks, the shackles may move slightly when I do. [;)

I had an extra set of leafs dearched and had the driveshaft shortened
IMG_3713_zpswtwsuoul.jpg

got my molex plugs in the mail I got 50 4 pin male and female plugs with 200 male and 200 female pins for 25 bucks shipped. also got the exhaust nuts I had misplaced (they are probably still exactly where I placed them, but my patience in searching was wearing dangerously thin)
IMG_3714_zpshu9mn4rl.jpg

missed this by a day. still miffed about it. he had the year typed wrong so it didnt turn up in my search, my brother actually spotted it after 4 days
00c0c_jctMboHNXXH_1200x900_zpsxrw31c70.jpg

new leafs in, this frame was really well cared for I can tell, all the bolts just fall out of it. the shackle bolt is almost always stuck but these came right out, not bad for 32 years.
IMG_3715_zpsspcbtfkp.jpg

sits almost exactly right. it will go down another inch with the bed, and another 1/2" with the new tires.
IMG_3716_zpsyjdefdnw.jpg

bolted up my new belltech nitros on all 4 corners. one word. TAUT.
IMG_3719_zpsojthyuwp.jpg

I had the driveshaft in and thought better of it, there just wasnt enough slack in the trans side and I was worried the rear suspension cycling would jelly it (whats the difference between jam and jelly? old joke, google it) in the trans, so I will bite my pride, embrace my hubris, and have it shortened again. cant wait to hear the big truck guys joke about it.

I wanted to get some stuff done this weekend, the goal being to button up as much as I could, so I started by tying all the wiring and plumbing in the back, its ready for tail and tag lights now.
IMG_3759_zpsn7vvgdnm.jpg

dash wiring is at 99%, column wired, BCM installed. just little niggly stuff like 12v power ports (cigarette lighter plugs) and mounting the dome lights, finding a home for the fuse box, and installing the HVAC box is left
IMG_3757_zpsnnikt7sm.jpg

I also passed the shifter cable through the floor using the stock grommet. waste not want not!
IMG_3761_zpsmto0drwf.jpg

here is how dumb I am. I finally hooked up the column shifter, the trans has been in neutral for half a year now, so I put it in park and pushed the truck to make sure it was in park. I would be lying if I said I didnt fiddle with it a minute to see why the truck still rolled durrrrr.....
tomorrow I will button up the windshield and interior trim, install the drivers door, and move forward to the headlight and turn signal wiring, and probably install the bumper.

picked up my driveshaft today, head held low. :/

after a brief trip circumventing bridges that were out inexplicably, I picked up another 46 bed. the fender is what I was after, but it was solidly attached and he wanted rid of the whole thing. I know the fender doesnt look like much but I want a patch for that one with the watermelon hole.
IMG_3769_zps05dlbw6g.jpg

IMG_3771_zpsxortepa5.jpg

now that I have two complete 41-46 beds I can sell that 37-38 gmc bed I have. I didnt want to hot rod rare old parts like that so WHEW.

worked on the headlight wiring, cut some pass through holes and got it all routed
IMG_3767_zps9oy0odbl.jpg

picked up some LED tails and front turns from bowtie bits
IMG_3780_zpsapunkqd3.jpg

neat tag light
IMG_3781_zpshmrv44t9.jpg

this was a bit unexpected
IMG_3779_zpsqdvmjkjm.jpg

so I checked the front turns and sure enough, white ground. glad I noticed because I dont have a double socket on the existing lights and I absolutely would have wired them wrong. they dont look to have polarity reversing circuitry either.

mocked up my extra bumper and cut the mounts but needed a break
IMG_3784_zpszccg6gww.jpg

ride height is perfect, bumper is 5.5 inches off the ground.

Latest posts

Back