1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so looks like a u-joint at the end of the steering column, and then straight on down to the steering box then? Looks like that should work out nice, and hidden even!

Thats the plan. I might cut he original steering box off the column and keep the column. Might have to replace the shaft because I think it will come up short for where I need the u-joint. I'll have to run the tape measure to see where it ends up. I want to keep the interior original with the steering wheel.

Gold03

Tonight I got rear shocks mocked up and brackets tacked into place. Yesterday I did a little grinding on the front cross member revision I did.

I need to get some air lines and fittings for the rear air bags before I can get it on wheels.

Gold03

And you didn't take pictures why???

Just kidding.....I myself have forgotten to take some pics on some progress...so can't expect everyone to do it.....:D

I can't believe it, but its been snowing all day:( it's minus 15 Celsius right now with a wind.

No heat in my uninsulated garage... Yet.

Gold03

I really like the way you redone the motor mounts it gives it a cleaner look.
Lookin forward to seeing some more pics [P

Thanks guys.

Thank goodness for my plasma cutter! As I get used to using it, a lot of options open up.

I did the welding with my miller thunderbolt. Seems if I turn the temp down below the temperature of the sun... It works better. Go figure!:rolleyes:

Gold03

Got my butt out of bed and ran the snow blower, moved the truck out of the garage, grabbed a few photos and cleaned the garage.

Here are some of the photos I took today.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 92
I scored that from a factory that used to manufacture overhead doors. The sections came off the line and stacked up on these things. Works good. has six adjustable legs I made for it. I also made up some moveable cross members for it.

Made a few more of those aluminium washers today for shock spacers.

gold03

got a little sheet metal tweaking done today. I need to reinforce the hood a little and build mount pins and receivers for the hood and grill. I'm going to mount them on hood pins, and use retainer pins to hold them on. They will be up under the hood and inside the grill so won't be visible from outside the vehicle. Will make it easy to remove if I need to and also hold it all securely in place.

All of the sheet metal will be black with the factory chrome on the hood and grill.

You can see from the photos where the head lights are going on top of the shock brackets.

gold03

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1085.jpg
    IMG_1085.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1087.jpg
    IMG_1087.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 56
Looks good.
I was out in the garage before Easter dinner tweaking the roof on mine.
Still thinking about wether or not I am going to run a hood.
Torchie.

I came close to cutting the hood today and just using the forward portion for the top of the grill. I'm going to try and stick to my original plan though. Going with the hood. I like the lines on the side of the hood. I want the end product to be representative of the original truck, so I am trying to keep some of the lines that are so distinctive to these old Fords.

Gold03

I need some advice on my steering column. I want to retain the original 49 steering wheel. Will that wheel fit any other column?

I was hoping to mill the original shaft to Double D so it could adapt to a universal joint, but the centre bore is so large I would end up cutting right into it and only have two tangs going into the joint.

The inside bore of the steering shaft is only 0.597 of an inch. The out side is 0.885 inch.

I thought about fitting a shaft to the inside with a 1 thousandths interference fit and just milling the end of the shaft to double D. But. I have to mill to 0.553 of an inch which is right through the inside diameter of the steering shaft and into the inner shaft diameter.

I cant use a 1" Double D joint because the shaft outer diameter is only 0.885 of an inch.

ideas? Options?

gold03

Latest posts

Back