So how much do you trust your work??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenny and gene, I 100%agree. It's done right or it's not done at all in my shop. You don't like it you are free to find another shop. My name is on it and they will bad mouth your work if it's not done right. Even if that's how the customer wanted it

Trusting my work on my own stuff hardly ever crosses my mind, and that goes for both fabrication and mechanical repair. However, working on other peoples stuff is a different story. In fact it's one of the biggest reason I got out of auto repair over 30 years ago. Since then, it's just a hobby for me. Funny story, a couple years ago I did a timing belt on a 4.7 V8 Toyota for a friend. A day or two after the job, I could not remember if I tightened one particular bolt. It drove me nutz! Then, my friend gave the truck to his brother in law who in turn totaled it on his way back to Iowa. If that hadn't happened, I'd still be wondering about that bolt! What's strange is, in the 15 years I slung wrenches for a living, I can count on one hand the come backs I had, I still remember each of them.

If you don't trust your own work, practice until you do. Triple-check torque values, practice welding and try hammering or pressing the pieces apart, make a list and check things off as you get them done. There are any number of ways to gain confidence in your own work and yourself!

Yeah, make a check list. And don't let anything (except a fire, perhaps...) interrupt you. Think like an aircraft mechanic/pilot, tightening bolts, and you get a telephone call. Don't take it. When a screw comes loose in the air, lots of bad stuff can happen. (I'm not an aviation mechanic, but I flew a lot of hours with jungle pilots over the Amazon. Worst thing that ever happened during a flight was when the exhaust manifold broke off, and started heating up the engine compartment to the point that we were smelling burning rubber. Had to turn around, and land at a small river town airport.)

I more and more don't trust other people work. A few weeks ago I had my 50 Chevys alignment done. They guy bent the **** out of my shifter cause he couldn't figure out how to use it. The yesterday the steering came apart where he adjusted the shaft and steering wheel to center them. Thank God I wasn't on the freeway when it happened!!!

A buddy of mine is away doing home remodeling, I am storing his 54 Chev in my barn while so. He just told me yesterday the story of how he took his '92 F150 into a shop to have the distributor replaced, apparently it was worn out.

On the way back here, after 15 minutes on the highway, all of a sudden the oil pressure is going nuts. He opens the hood and sees not only the distributor wobbling, but oil fumes coming out of where it mounts. His cell phone was inoperable for some reason, so he made a sign saying send help. Nobody did.

He was stuck there, for several hours, so he laid on the ground and pretended he was dead.

It was then that the highway patrol and Road Stranger showed up.

Got it towed back, of course the shop that mounted in the distributor did not, repeat, did not catch the oil pump slot and it was tightened down that way, leaving a gap, plus the seal was missing. :eek:

He reported that all is fixed, heading back today.

That story reminded me of a coworker who took hos truck in for an oil change. He went to one of the chain places and after driving a while truck started to clattering. Looks under the truck and sees oil. Seems the place put in a new oil plug with a quick release for a tube to make changing oil changes quicker and left the tube in. Luckily he didn't blow the motor. Jim

I more and more don't trust other people work. A few weeks ago I had my 50 Chevys alignment done. They guy bent the **** out of my shifter cause he couldn't figure out how to use it. The yesterday the steering came apart where he adjusted the shaft and steering wheel to center them. Thank God I wasn't on the freeway when it happened!!!

Talked to a friend of mine who just returned from wintering in AZ. He pulls a small 5th wheel with a 2003 Duramax Chevy. Starting with injectors, he had to stop and repair something 4 times on the way home. The last 3 times it was something the last mechanic forgot to tighten.

Talked to a friend of mine who just returned from wintering in AZ. He pulls a small 5th wheel with a 2003 Duramax Chevy. Starting with injectors, he had to stop and repair something 4 times on the way home. The last 3 times it was something the last mechanic forgot to tighten.

That sucks

I made the steering arms on mine. Probably a bit heavy duty than the needed to be. Almost 60,000 miles on them and no problens so I reckon I have put them through the test. lol

Attachments

• Photo054.jpg
    Photo054.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 18
Way to go, Timbo.
This is what I was talking about, if you understand physics and build your invention strong enough, it'll turn out alright. There are many, many scared people that would not touch those steering arms, but you made them and drove away, successfully. Good for you.
We need confidence in our building; of course, we don't need over-confidence.
You guys are doing a fine job, keep up the good work.
There is the other matter of someone else's work!!

Latest posts

Back