fresh thinking photos

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Image-834625DF256011DB.jpg

I agree, in the picture I can see, it is a swing arm. If there were stops, built in for the frame end of the springs it would work. Although, they will be twice as strong, or stiff. I guess I don't see it either.

I agree, in the picture I can see, it is a swing arm. If there were stops, built in for the frame end of the springs it would work. Although, they will be twice as strong, or stiff. I guess I don't see it either.

I think once the mounts are welded to the axle it wil work. If you imagine the axle trying to rotate around either axis you will see that the other spring would have to either deflect or change in length and since it is fixed and can't change in length it would have to deflct, I think. I would be more concerned with spring wrap under hard acceleration/deceleration causing wheel hop.

We have to be missing something here guys. It seems to me the only way that would work would be if he tightened the bolts at the front of the spring really, really tight:D(just kidding). But what I cant tell is what are the 2 hose clamps doing on the other side of those springs. Just a thought, since it is underslug,could the axle be ridgid to the frame and the body be sprung? The front spring brackets seem thin and stamped, and you can't see where it is attached to the chassis. Oh well that may a crazy idea,just something else to throw in the mix. I bet Earthman has more pics,he's just sittin' there laughin!!:rolleyes:

Ok, try visualizing the springs as solid bars that are fixed at the axle or even better a part of the axle but still on pivot mountings at the end, now how could that axle move in a verticle plane? Only if the bars bent, right? It will work. but I would want a panhard bar to take the side loads.

When you nail the gas it will be just like hitting a bump. Just like a drive shaft bike only in reverse.

The pivot(s) are usually on the axle.

I agree, which makes alot more sense to me anyway. After thinking about it, I also agree that the rear axle wont move, but it seems like there would be alot of pushing and pulling forces on those 2 bolts thru the springs. I would want that bracket braced well. Neat topic!!;)

As a load is applied to the body the springs will flex, flattening out, slightly extending the wheelbase. Lots of force on the spring eye end which means the (looks like) 14 ga. spring eye bracket is not beefy enough. A real four link with a reversed quarter elliptic spring would be an interesting suspension and eliminate the problems.
P3030083.jpg

This shackless quarter elliptic set up works good in my COrnbinder.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back