My first rat build........

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I got the emblem done for the tailgate and I don't think I like it so it will probably become wall art! I will post a pic when I get home from work tonight. I've been working on the frame the last week or so, so hopefully I'll be getting that done soon.

Ok here's the pick of the emblem I made for the tailgate which is probably going to become wall art!

Attachments

• 20101116150551.jpg
    20101116150551.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 91
Needs something more 3 dimensional. Fabricated, industrial. Maybe a real 3D Triple Diamond Emblem. That's the logo of that era truck. It would cover more of the tailgate. I know this is crued, but it might give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Untitled-3.jpg

Yeah I thought about something like that, it would look a lot better. I've already took the IH of and filled the hole. I made the IH on the bridgeport at work so no time lost there really, it'll make a cool looking wall art for the shop once painted! I'll figure something out after I get the frame done.

hey man your tailgate skin has been done for a few weeks, i need you to send me your address so i can get it ready to ship. also i need your paypal account so i can send you an invoice

iron maiden, if you are wanting info on getting a tripple diamond logo rolled, i have this one available, since he bailed on getting after it was made, boxed and ready to ship
001-24.jpg

Evrything looks good about the build except for one thing 350 sbc. Not much creativity there. Sorry that's personal opinion

Well I'm a chevy guy and always have been so I'm going to put what I like in it. Besides I plan on putting a lot of miles on it and want it to be reliable so that leaves out a ford motor! :D

Well I'm a chevy guy and always have been so I'm going to put what I like in it. Besides I plan on putting a lot of miles on it and want it to be reliable so that leaves out a ford motor! :D

We call that bow tie blind.:D Nothing wrong with a 350, great engine but I agree they lack imagination. When I'm at a car show I will barely glance at a non chevy with a 350 but stop and check it out close if it's a 500 Caddy, 324 Olds or something interesting.

We call that bow tie blind.:D Nothing wrong with a 350, great engine but I agree they lack imagination. When I'm at a car show I will barely glance at a non chevy with a 350 but stop and check it out close if it's a 500 Caddy, 324 Olds or something interesting.

I'm building the truck to my liking and I like 350's. I don't really see the point in going out and spending a lot of money on a odd ball motor when I have a shop full of 350 sbc motors. I thought part of what rat rodding was about is using what you had laying around to make it work?

I'm not a fan of the rolled logo either, although it might look sweet painted. either way, sorry if my question started that.
I too am putting a SBC in my Harvester. For me, it is unique and different as I've never owned a Chevy. I'm a Ford guy. Always had 289/302s. My brother was the Chevy guy and had a built 350 in his 69' Camaro. It was our brotherly feud that kept me in Fords ; ) Now I have a C5 Corvette and it's brought us together. Haha
I was looking for a ford motor as I had a rebuilt C4 trans out of my 65' Mustang Fastback I sold. The 327 SBC I picked up for my truck kind of fell into my lap so I jumped on it. Thought I would give it a try. I know i sure like my LS1 in my Vette.
And to the thought of this Rat build being unimaginative just because it has a SBC????? Look at this thing! Creative is how I would describe it. Well done Int Rat. Please finish it your way.

You'll see that Willowbilly3 said unimaginative engine choice, not the whole build.
While I enjoy seeing rods with unusual engines, I too am one of those builders that isn't that wrapped up in that part of the build. Small block Chevys have been the most popular engine for decades for good reason. I have a whole herd of them in the garage waiting for future projects. I love the darn things and am not going to use something different just to appeal to spectators.

I'm excited about mine as well. I have always heard great things about the Chevy 327 but have never been in a car with one. Been around plenty of nice 350s and a few Big blocks, but never a 327. I hope it turns out to be a great motor. I guess this was my way of being different, not choosing the 350 and going with its little bro.

Ok guys... let's simmer down now. I cleaned this thread up a lil so let's keep it nice. Like I always say... If I wanted to hear any bitchin'... I'd go home to my wife. So far... no harm... no foul! Let's carry on!

Rat Rod Mod

I'm excited about mine as well. I have always heard great things about the Chevy 327 but have never been in a car with one. Been around plenty of nice 350s and a few Big blocks, but never a 327. I hope it turns out to be a great motor. I guess this was my way of being different, not choosing the 350 and going with its little bro.

I love those small journal 327s, also 283s. The best car I ever owned was a 59 Belair with a 283. I could have a pile of 4 bolt 350s for free but every one of them has the tranny smoked. Same with Ford windsors, pass on a lot of free running ones. Mostly because I don't need another engine and have no good place to store them. I would make room if someone gave me a 283 or 327. I wouldn't run anything but a 350 cheby in a roundy round dirt car.
bob w, I wish I was more secure that way, I tend to want every part of my builds to be appealing. Then I wouldn't spend multiple hours cutting something back apart because it was an inch too high and didn't look quite right to me (or maybe someone else).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back