What Did Ya Get Done This Weekend?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ran and passed all of my eterance PT tests for the academy sat. Start on feb 5th. did it all @39 yrs old and with a torn calf muscule (did it 2 days before the test!) [cl

I got several projects done on my non-build..:D Plan on running some competition engineering ladder bars on my (insert vehicle here) that I've had hanging on the wall for years, so I build rear ladder bar brackets for those and completed the front safety cages that were missing parts..Also rolled some tubing and built my front hairpins,they aren't finished,but close[;)..I just need a project to use this crap on.. LOL Kinda feel like an idiot for building parts for a ride I don't have yet..

Tim

Parts is parts Tim.Just can't have too many.I couldn't do any thing with out my scrap pile but i would really like to have goodies hanging from the rafters ready to choose from. :) I've heard guys comment that they prefer to start a build with just wheels.

are we talking the Police or Fire Academy?

ran and passed all of my eterance PT tests for the academy sat. Start on feb 5th. did it all @39 yrs old and with a torn calf muscule (did it 2 days before the test!) [cl

I did the police academy at 39 too... I was the old man in the group.... second career... turned wrenchs since I was 12, went into business after the military (the repair garage)then tried the service director thing at dealerships... worked as a Reserve Officer for a few years while working at the dealer, loved it and was offered a part-time officer position. Took a 90 day leave of absence from the dealership to attend the academy and two years later, offered full time... took one heck of a pay cut leaving the dealer, but never looked back.. had the best of both worlds.... did my car things and my po po thing..... good luck with the academy no matter if police or fire.....either way, it's really a rewarding career.....

sgtpontiac

boy that sounds like a page right out of my life! USMC, then paper mill maintainence (5 yrs), then turning wrenches at a GM dealer (12 yrs) now a second job as a part time officer. Hope to get on full time. If I get on full time it will be four 10 hr days a week. that will leave me an extra 20 -30 hrs a week to do hot rod stuff / metal art stuff in my shop. pay cut is easier with the $200/wk savings in health care and travel costs. Thanks all for the kind words! might let you all speed in my town a little...[cl

Gotta Remember some things as a cop!

boy that sounds like a page right out of my life! USMC, then paper mill maintainence (5 yrs), then turning wrenches at a GM dealer (12 yrs) now a second job as a part time officer. Hope to get on full time. If I get on full time it will be four 10 hr days a week. that will leave me an extra 20 -30 hrs a week to do hot rod stuff / metal art stuff in my shop. pay cut is easier with the $200/wk savings in health care and travel costs. Thanks all for the kind words! might let you all speed in my town a little...[cl

Don't become Apathetic about officer safety.... never take anything personal.... never compromise your ethics or values and always treat people with respect, even when they don't..... and last but not least, go home at the end of every shift in one piece.... you'll love your job....

I did some things. We are getting one of my dad's cars ready to sell so I'm cleaning up some issues. We didn't build this car and I'm having to take care of plenty of things that someone else should have done in the past.

The lowereing blocks on both side were cracked so me and my brother whipped up some new ones out of some scrap. Next up, I'm going to replace the MII strut arms with some one piece lower control arms.

I also pulled all of the interior panels out of my coupe and added some fake patina :eek: so they would match my seats. I insulated the backside of all of them too. No more tin rattling.

In addition to that, I started on the spotlight project for my dad's Merc. I'll post some pictures of that deal when we're finished.

nice project. 33? On the door panels; I like that they match but the fabricator in my loved all the raw brushed aluminum! oohhh.....I like it![;)

What is that car, Bill, a Jag? Very cool, didn't know you guys even had that one. :) I REALLY love that 34, it is soooooooooooo clean.

What I got done this weekend was I finished putting the 331 for my 27 back together and it is ready to reinstall (for the 3rd time :eek:) I think I got all the gremlins fixed with my water pump issues and a slow drip I had out of the rear seal. We'll see. If I have to pull this engine out any more I am going to put wing nuts on everything. :D I also hope I got the roller rockers adjusted a little more so they quiet down a little.......sounds like a solid cam otherwise.

myrpumockup004.jpg

I also started mocking up the final look for my rpu project. I got my new tires and wheels from Coker and propped those up to get the wheelbase figured out. I had the wheels powder coated black. I'm running 8 inch wide Firestone slicks on the back, and like them even better than the 10 inchers I ran on the 23.

myrpumockup007.jpg

For the front I am going to run the radiator hidden in the bed, so I am going to run an empty grille shell up front (it still has to be chopped to match the firewall height) and a Moon tank. I want this car to look like an old drag car.

myrpumockup005.jpg

I was going to use a 4 inch dropped Superbell axle I have, but it looked too new, so I scored an original 32-36 Ford axle on Ebay and am using that, undropped. I also bought a set of the new wishbones Speedway is selling, and am going to run the front end suicide style for a little more drop. These wishbones are really well made and exactly like the original Fords, only with no rust.

wishbones002.jpg

My Son Dan is still plugging away wiring his rpu. He loves wiring, so this part of the build is fun for him. Pretty soon he will be able to turn the key and fire it up that way.

Don

I've never even heard of one of those, Bill. How long has your Pop owned it? I guess it is hot rodded from the lowering blocks and all?

Very unique car.

Don

Is that the Olds motor Don? This is going to be my favorite Donsrods project so far :cool:

Thanks E man. It is an Olds, but a different one than is in my Son Dans car. This one is a 30 over 394 Olds (1964) with just a mild rebuild on it. I scrapped the old dual path automatic transmission and am running a TH350 with a Bentdsens adapter. I dragged this engine around with me for about 25 years before I finally tore into it and built it up. Not a drag motor, but should move a light roadster ok. :)

Don

Thanks E man. It is an Olds, but a different one than is in my Son Dans car. This one is a 30 over 394 Olds (1964) with just a mild rebuild on it. I scrapped the old dual path automatic transmission and am running a TH350 with a Bentdsens adapter. I dragged this engine around with me for about 25 years before I finally tore into it and built it up. Not a drag motor, but should move a light roadster ok. :)

Don

You guys all have some great projects going on! I like the fact that you're using an olds motor Don. It should really move that roadster down the road!!!..cr

Worked on 46 Rat Rod Build

For the most part it was a lazy weekend. I was able to head into the shopm (Champion Muscle Cars) and get the 46 rat rod prepped for final paint.

Attachments

• 46 in primer.jpg
    46 in primer.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 11
I FINALLY got my front rails tapered and welded up. That will be the toughest part of the frame build and was holding me back. My Son Dan took pity on me and did the welding, all 12 feet of it :)eek:) and then I spent the next two days grinding the welds smooth. I also got the frame sections for under the body cut and ground, so now we just have to weld the two pieces per side together.

Dan said the welder wasn't feeding wire right toward the end so I picked up a new liner today. It is the very first thing we have had to do to this Miller mig in the 6 years we have had it, and it has welded miles and miles of welds. Once we get that repaired we can do more welding on the frame. It's finally starting to move ahead! :D

Don

Latest posts

Back