1926 Dodge Brothers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is just a brief update.
I picked up my frame parts from the laser cutter Wednesday. :D

I didn’t get very far tacking them up, but you’ll get the idea of where it’s headed.

Attachments

• 26 Dodge FrameParts002.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameParts002.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 185
  • 26 Dodge FrameParts003.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameParts003.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 162
  • 26 Dodge FrameParts001.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameParts001.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 169
Nice !!! [;)
Thanks!

We’ve had family in visiting since Thursday, so it’s been a trip trying to find time to get anything done on the Dodge. I welded on the front frame rails a little, just need to box them top and bottom. [;)

Hopefully I can get some more done this evening.

Attachments

• 26 Dodge FrameFrontRail01.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameFrontRail01.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 149
  • 26 Dodge FrameFrontRail02.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameFrontRail02.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 147
  • 26 Dodge FrameFrontRail03.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameFrontRail03.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 26 Dodge FrameFrontRail04.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameFrontRail04.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 149
  • 26 Dodge FrameFrontRail05.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameFrontRail05.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 151
Well one of the two out of town guests left yesterday, so I was able to sneak off for a couple hours. :)

I got most of the fill plates cut to box the frame in and also made a new “blank” for our sun visor to send to the laser cutter. (They screwed up the last one, so this is take two on the visor :mad:)

I then started getting a couple of the sections tacked together, rear and cab. :D

Attachments

• 26 Dodge Frame RearRailAssm2.jpg
    26 Dodge Frame RearRailAssm2.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 26 Dodge Frame RearRailAssm1.jpg
    26 Dodge Frame RearRailAssm1.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 129
Looks great! You're almost there. :)

How do you like the tolerances of the laser cutting process?

The laser parts are awesome, but being the typical engineer, I didn’t adjust my drawing properly.
They made the parts spot on and I had to clean up all my tubes so they would fit. (See pic)
If I do it again, I’ll add a 1/64” to all the hole dimensions.

Attachments

• 26 Dodge FrameTubes.jpg
    26 Dodge FrameTubes.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 114
It’s been difficult to get my son to agree to any paint, but he did get some color on a couple parts today! [cl

Attachments

• Dash-GasTank-StWheel001.jpg
    Dash-GasTank-StWheel001.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 129
WOW, that frame is looking awesome and those painted pieces too! Love that color.Cant wait to see this thing come together.Very cool and I dont know why you were worried about this being your first build, looks like you done this stuff for years.

WOW, that frame is looking awesome and those painted pieces too! Love that color.Cant wait to see this thing come together.Very cool and I dont know why you were worried about this being your first build, looks like you done this stuff for years.

Thanks man! I really appreciate that. :)

Got the visor piece to the laser cutter last night and they burned it while I waited, turned out great. :D

Attachments

• 26 Dodge Visor 001.jpg
    26 Dodge Visor 001.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 102
Looking GREAT!!! Love the visor!!! I have a couple antique "2 man" saws... I'm planning on using one of them for a visor. I guess great minds think alike...

The laser parts are awesome, but being the typical engineer, I didn’t adjust my drawing properly.
They made the parts spot on and I had to clean up all my tubes so they would fit. (See pic)
If I do it again, I’ll add a 1/64” to all the hole dimensions.

Hahaha, I hear you. I supply prints to two different vendors. One is a cabinet maker and the other one is a water jetter. At first, it was kind of challenging to predict how far off each one of them was, but now I've gotten it nailed down. It's such a relief when hand-made wooden parts and water jetted steel parts go together on the first try, LOL.

The color looks great. The first thing that came to my mind was Jimi Hendrix. [cl

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July weekend! :D
I spent most of mine getting my frame welded up. (20 hours of welding, leveling, grinding, re-welding, re-leveling, etc.) [;)

I just wanted to get it ready to place under the car and figure out where the motor mounts, trans, rear end and so on would all go. We’ll have a lot of brackets and welding to do, so I didn’t finish welding the frame solid yet.

Friday I got our frame platform that we use to weld up our machine frames leveled up and ready. This made it a lot nicer to get the frame pieces lined up and keep them square and level. :)

The front rails had warped slightly so I clamped them to the platform and boxed them in, this straightened them back out.

I then got the back half squared and clamped down, then lined up the rails in the proper position to the back half so I could get it all connected.

I had to stop several times to re-level and re-square everything, also had to use a bottle jack to spread the rails back. :mad: (A tube frame would have been so much easier!)

After getting all the sections together I boxed the rest of the frame in. [;)

Still looks like Doctor Frankenstein welded it, :eek: but that will all get cleaned up later. [ddev

Attachments

• Frame Weld-up 002.jpg
    Frame Weld-up 002.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 145
  • Frame Weld-up 001.jpg
    Frame Weld-up 001.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 134
  • Frame Weld-up 006.jpg
    Frame Weld-up 006.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Frame Weld-up 009.jpg
    Frame Weld-up 009.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Frame Weld-up 015.jpg
    Frame Weld-up 015.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 208
frame

interesting frame, is it gonna be strong enough with all the holes in it

my concern is the flex it may have during a hard take off or hard cornering.
mabe even in a few years stress crack start.[S:eek::confused:

looks nice though,,,,,,,,,

Later:cool:

interesting frame, is it gonna be strong enough with all the holes in it

my concern is the flex it may have during a hard take off or hard cornering.
mabe even in a few years stress crack start.[S:eek::confused:

looks nice though,,,,,,,,,

Later:cool:

Should be, each hole has a tube welded inside it (Welded inside and out) that ties the walls together; it actually should be a little stronger than just a plain tube.

As far as cracking…man I hope not! :eek:

Latest posts

Back