1926 Dodge Brothers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to Jim Travis (Fellow RRR member) we got a cool Chevy grill last night!
[cl[cl

Just set it in front of the car to start getting an idea of how we want to mount it. :D

Attachments

• 36Grill_8982.jpg
    36Grill_8982.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 70
  • 36Grill_8986.jpg
    36Grill_8986.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 36Grill_8987.jpg
    36Grill_8987.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 36Grill_8988.jpg
    36Grill_8988.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 36Grill_8981.jpg
    36Grill_8981.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 77
Not much progress, but we did get the gas pedal assembly started. (We’re still looking at what to modify on the brake to get the ratio better).

We mounted the gas pedal so that we can have an arm come through the vent opening in the cowl to attach the carb linkage to.

Attachments

• GasPed_8983.jpg
    GasPed_8983.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 65
  • GasPed_8984.jpg
    GasPed_8984.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 64
  • GasPed_8985.jpg
    GasPed_8985.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 58
looks like it's starting to come together slowlly, but at least you have foreward progress.[cl

Later:cool:

Hopefully it keeps going forward, my uncle is coming down some time in April and I’m trying to get as much done as possible before he gets here. (He’s built a bunch of street rods over the years and I want to get his opinion on as much as possible). Other than the brake pedal we shouldn’t have anything to redo.

We’re still taking baby steps. :eek:

very kool.... how do you know exactly what the cab is? i have been trying to figure what my cab is and as far as i could tell a 1927 or 28 dodge.... but then seeing your 26.... looks alot like mine too. can check it out (new project, what is it?) in the build threads. im confused by mine because of the second body line that would be below yours, and mine also has cast brass channels on the front and top of each side of the windshield. and lastly ive noticed that the dodges such as yours have the holes in the cowl for signal lights which mine does not. my cab was saved from a life of a childrens play house and flower pot that came with property my brother bought, and was also cut down from a four door but done so long ago that the cab was gas welded back together.
i like what your doin, keepin my eye on this one [cl

very kool.... how do you know exactly what the cab is? i have been trying to figure what my cab is and as far as i could tell a 1927 or 28 dodge.... but then seeing your 26.... looks alot like mine too. can check it out (new project, what is it?) in the build threads. im confused by mine because of the second body line that would be below yours, and mine also has cast brass channels on the front and top of each side of the windshield. and lastly ive noticed that the dodges such as yours have the holes in the cowl for signal lights which mine does not. my cab was saved from a life of a childrens play house and flower pot that came with property my brother bought, and was also cut down from a four door but done so long ago that the cab was gas welded back together.
i like what your doin, keepin my eye on this one [cl

The owner that started making a street rod out of it, (3) owners ago, said it was a 1926 Dodge. Unfortunately he lost the title for it, so we’re going off his word. Everything I have been able to find on 26 Dodge sedans are dead on what we have, so I’m certain that’s what it is.

I really think yours is a Chrysler about the same year as my Dodge, but I haven’t been able to confirm it.

No matter what it is, your build is great; I’ve been watching it since the first post. Glad to see it being saved.

We started getting the headlights and grill location figured out. Mocked it up using some wood so we could get the dimensions we needed, should have the actual steel brackets from the laser cutter in a couple days.

We’ve had an old radiator from a Case fork truck and the dimensions were great for what we wanted. So we sent it to a radiator shop, they cleaned it and repaired it. Still looks like crap, but we’re not done figuring out how the brackets will mount to it yet. The radiator shop said that this should cool like a 4 core GM radiator (do they even make a 4 core :confused:), anyway, should work great for us.

Tacked in a homemade battery box, also made one for the other side that we can use for storage, I’ll add some rubber to the inside to protect the battery.

Got some mounts made for the gas tank, welded “ears” to the back of the seats so we can attach them to the frame and got some dimensions to fabricate the bag mounting.

Attachments

• Lights IMG_9001.jpg
    Lights IMG_9001.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 66
  • GasTank IMG_8994.jpg
    GasTank IMG_8994.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 62
  • GasTank IMG_8993.jpg
    GasTank IMG_8993.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 72
  • GasTank IMG_8991.jpg
    GasTank IMG_8991.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Bat Box IMG_9007.jpg
    Bat Box IMG_9007.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Bat Box IMG_9010.jpg
    Bat Box IMG_9010.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 70
  • Rad IMG_9004.jpg
    Rad IMG_9004.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Lights IMG_9000.jpg
    Lights IMG_9000.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 69
  • Lights IMG_9003.jpg
    Lights IMG_9003.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 65
you either gotta make those tires look way older or make tha rad look way newer...:D quite the contrast there :) commin together nicely. GM did make 4 core rads, my daily driver right now is a 78 gm 4x4 short box with a 400 and it has a 4 core in it, think GM used the four with the 400ci engines... maby with the auto, but not sure. so the rad shop isnt blowing smoke up ur a$$ :cool:

you either gotta make those tires look way older or make tha rad look way newer...:D quite the contrast there :) commin together nicely. GM did make 4 core rads, my daily driver right now is a 78 gm 4x4 short box with a 400 and it has a 4 core in it, think GM used the four with the 400ci engines... maby with the auto, but not sure. so the rad shop isnt blowing smoke up ur a$$ :cool:

I’m dying to get some road dust on those tires, it’s just taking FOREVER!

That would make sense; I know the 400’s had a harder time keeping cool. I was really happy with the reaction I got from the radiator shop, really thought they’d just laugh and tells us to get something better.

Got the top bracket made for the airbag. Never seen it done with just one bag, but we think it will work fine. Just really need it to rise up if there is a problem (speed bump, etc.). We have two bags, but like this look and set up.
We’ll put a bracket on the bottom of the bag as well that will just cradle the pumpkin.

Also, I sent some files over to one of the CNC operators this morning for our steering arms, should have them sometime this week. :D

Attachments

• AirBagIMG_9012.jpg
    AirBagIMG_9012.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 55
  • AirBagIMG_9013.jpg
    AirBagIMG_9013.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 47
I never understood how a single bag system works. By lifting the center of the frame up, you unload the preload on both springs. There's not going to be anything to control the body roll. Would that not cause unstability? I would have used two airbags, or possibly a big sway bar.

I never understood how a single bag system works. By lifting the center of the frame up, you unload the preload on both springs. There's not going to be anything to control the body roll. Would that not cause unstability? I would have used two airbags, or possibly a big sway bar.

Body roll it the one thing we're concerned about but we will only raise it an inch or so. Just have to see, if we need to we'll add the other bag. 90 percent of the time the bag will just be sitting there unused, so shouldn't be any big deal.

I don't think body roll is even worth worrying about if you won't be using the bag except for speed bumps and the like. I can't see where it would be much worse than running 2 bags off one valve - that system, the air on the outside bag (when turning a corner) squishes over to the inside bag - no roll control at all.

Since you still have the normal suspension still in place, I doubt body roll will be that noticeable even if you corner with it. Time will tell eh?

Latest posts

Back