36 Ford truck on Ranger

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually don't like someone telling me stuff that doesn't make sense, like 'tip your pinion angle towards the transmission', without any other explanation.

You can do exactly that if you use a double cardan style joint at the tranny output. They are a true constant velocity joint, so as long as all the angle is taken up there and the universal joint at the pinion is straight you're all good.

It would mean getting a new shaft made up, but if it means leaving the tranny mount and floor etc as it is it might be worth it?

Snopro, if more people would have had my political views, poor old Alberta wouldn't have been dragged to her knees and there is a good chance that we won't need a driving style in three years, as everything will be at a dead stop, not a wheel turning. ---- End of rant.----Oh, I meant that I drive in a gentlemanly style.

Wendle, the annoying part is that this sissy wannabe engineer counterman told me my angles were wrong and that I had to point the pinion at the back of the transmission, and nothing about the other end. After I had changed half of the stuff around, grumbling all of the time, the same guy said, "Oh, yes well, your driveshaft is bent." I had done some research, had seen Gold's little movie and had lined up my pinion and transmission on parallel lines, but still had a vibration, so was taking in all advice, even the bad stuff.

Thanks Gold. I really like that utube movie.

I had to take the belhousing off, to get the flywheel out of there. Done. As soon as I got the flywheel out in the better light, I spotted my problem, and then fixed it. The flywheel was fine, it's the starter ring gear that wasn't on right. I had been setting the dial-indicator on the ring gear just below the teeth and it is horribly crooked,so crooked that it made the flywheel thicker for six inches. that extra width is what was getting shiny on the front dust cover. So I heated the ring gear up, tapped it on to where it's supposed to be, and let it cool and shrink.

Attachments

• IMG_1637.jpg
    IMG_1637.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 33
This is the umpteenth fix of the same grating problem and I have good confidence that this time I'll be charmed. The ring-gear is straightened out, the flywheel is put back on, the clutch is on and aligned, and the belhousing is on, partly.

An aside here, on Friday I'm going to look at a yard full of Ford and Dodge stuff that a young fellow is cleaning up. He doesn't seem to want the same stuff his late Grandpa wanted so he's getting rid of the parts and vehicles. I need some Stronberg two barrel carbs to make a three deuce setup on a wide block 318 in a '34 Dodge Brothers truck, ratrod. It's theme will be all Dodge parts. So, today I was scrounging up all my Dodgey carbs to see what I have and what I need.

Snopro, if more people would have had my political views, poor old Alberta wouldn't have been dragged to her knees and there is a good chance that we won't need a driving style in three years, as everything will be at a dead stop, not a wheel turning. ---- End of rant.----Oh, I meant that I drive in a gentlemanly style.

I heard things are bad up in GP. We can't blame it all on our government, this is a global issue. But the fact we didn't diversify our economy is definitely the fault of our governments and part of the reason we're in deep. -END RANT-

Hope all the work you've done solves your issues, Mac! Looks like you're well on your way!

Yes Dutch, I hope it was the problem.
One day, a few years ago, when I came home from work, there was a flathead motor lying on the ground in front of my shop. It was a surprise. Two weeks before that I had been bragging in the coffee shop that I had acquired an anniversary special '53 Ford truck. It was rough though. I wanted the motor out of it for my '36 truck. One guy at the coffee shop table said, " you can't take a motor out of an anniversary special just for another hotrod, let me have the whole truck and I'll get you a motor." The guy appeared to be an underachiever that I didn't know very well, so I nodded that I had heard him, and that was that. The next thing I knew my '53 Ford was gone and a few days later I had a Mercury flathead sitting in my yard. The fellow that delivered the motor to my place was older and in poor health and had no way of unloading the motor without my assistance, and I wasn't there or even aware of his presence. He must have manhandled the motor off his trailer and rolled it onto the ground. When it hit the ground it may have pushed the ring-gear forwards. I'm guessing this whole story.

Snopro, I know our government inherited a humungous problem. So often, though, people go on and on blaming the problem instead of thinking up a viable solution and working towards it.
Thanks for the good vibes.

Lining up and bolting down a belhousing from underneath a small vehicle can be trying at times. This was one of those times. The belhousing is on, though and the dust shield between the oil pan and the flywheel is bolted in. It also was a bearcat to line up, with the starter still through it.

I had to hodrod a wrench today. I cut up a brand new ratcheting combination wrench, bored a hole in it and put a bent bolt through the shortened handle. A bolt on the power brake booster mount, was completely inaccessible, visually or by feel, so the nut was tricky to start on and then tighten.
pic 1--- the twisted bent wrench that I loosened the old booster nut with.
pic 2 -- the new improved ratcheting box end.
pic 3 -- the wrench with the taped nut started on the bolt,----[I think]
pic 4 -- the wrench on the old booster just to show you where the nut is.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1643.jpg
    IMG_1643.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1645.jpg
    IMG_1645.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Guys, for the good vibes, I was pretty proud of that one. It took me quite a while to decide to cut up a ratcheting wrench, but it worked as well as in my dreams. I did have to fish a bent up 3/16 rod, though another hole to put pressure on the nut against the bolt, at first so it would start, but it started after a few tries.

I went to a yard-site in British Columbia on Friday. There were 200 cars, mostly from the 60's to the 90's. the yard had piles of junk under the snow and old sheds full of junk, so I brought some home. If you have a pre-1962 Chrysler V-8 engine, [Hemi or Poly] you will need one of these. A belhousing for a standard transmission. It has two bolt patterns on the back end.

Attachments

• IMG_1646.jpg
    IMG_1646.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 20
All of the bolts are back in the brake booster bracket, even the pedal bracket is bolted back on. The clutch linkage is back on and the transmission is in place and bolted down. I had to use my special new wrench again today. It jammed in there when the nut came tight and it was a little dickens to get loose enough to get out of there.

I put more bolts in today. The transmission crossmember is bolted in and shimmed to set the angle of the output shaft. The emergency brake lever is installed and set, but it touched the floorboard and would telegraph vibration and noise into the cab, so I took my pencil grinder after the floor.
I spent a little time seeing if I had a transmission that would fit behind that Chrysler V-8 belhousing I got the other day. One of my Ford T18's bolted up, but its input shaft was an inch too short.

I've got the interior all back together again. The transmission hump is covered.

One of the little niggley problems I've suffered with is the windshield frame drain. There is a little pipe welded into the lowest point of the windshield opening to drain out water. Every time I washed the truck the water snuck in past the passenger side windshield and ran down my cardboard kick panel. I thought I'd just put a rubber tube down and out through the floor, and hide most of it behind the kick panel. Easy Peasy, right? ---- Wrong. ---- I got it figured out now and installed.

Attachments

• IMG_1648.jpg
    IMG_1648.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Back