Roof drip rail repair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldboy

Hello,
I am wishing to repair a missing roof drip rail on the driver side. Completely missing since I’ve owned this car.
passenger side is 100% intact. I was hoping to find universal drip rail that I could modify and install , I am having no luck in finding this. Car is at 46 Plymouth coupe.
Now I’m thinking I may have to get some sheet metal to hand form in sections.
Do not want to shave the good side.
Any thoughts, ideas?
Thanks

I cut the drip mounding off one side of my old truck but hated it! I searched & found some on daBay & welded it back on... it didn't fit exactly but I made it fit! Lesson learned! [ddd

BoB

My dad shaved the drip rails on his 41 International truck when he built it. After a few trips in the rain, he swore to never do that to a vehicle again. Good on you for repairing them, they do a vital job of keeping the rain out of the door opening and off the driver when you get out.

My dad shaved the drip rails on his 41 International truck when he built it. After a few trips in the rain, he swore to never do that to a vehicle again. Good on you for repairing them, they do a vital job of keeping the rain out of the door opening and off the driver when you get out.

Exactly! When you shave them... you find out why they put them on cars pretty quick! :eek:[ddd:D

BoB

Thanks for all the ideas.
I’m thinking because of the shape of drip rail , small and tapered in front , then most of its length over the door pretty much same width, follows along past rear port window and again tapered to where it disappears into the body.
Thinking maybe trying to shape some sheet metal over different diameter bar stock? Not sure what gauge metal to buy.
Maybe heat it with a torch as I shape? Undoubtedly this will be challenging. I will take photos and post. Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2639.jpg
    IMG_2639.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2646.jpg
    IMG_2646.jpg