Baffled. Not baffled.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarat

I was baffled and very concerned over the use of oil in this recently installed 327.
A half quart in 100 miles, again, no leaks no smoke.

Baffled. Not baffled, the valve cover that is, with pcv hooked up in proper place. I don’t think I ran into this minor issue before, but after searching forums including this one, with the good write up, and talking to high performance guys, I could have made/ or bought baffled valve covers, or as one of my high performance buddies suggested, just run straight breathers. So I did that, but left the pcv in the one side, opened to atmosphere, passenger rear, breather on driver side front.

Well it appears I am now keeping the oil where it belongs, but also picked up a few ponies. I am thinking of getting one of those breathers that have the air filter by pass to keep the fumes out of the cabin but not that big a deal.

So are some of you baffled, or not baffled and breathing easy?

I always make sure the valve covers I use are baffled.
Sometimes I use a breather on the passenger side and other times I use the evap line to the carb breather base. It all depends on who I'm doing the work for.
Glad you got it straightened out.

Further study on this suggests going back to PCV with the baffle. Dirtier oil, etc.

The baffle-less valve covers I have are taller, about 3 inch, I checked clearances and I can go with the 2 1/2 baffled chrome covers for 80 bucks at oreilly, or tack in a baffle on what I have. (dont like the screw in versions, not sure about the rubber grommet versions)

Not in a big hurry/worry, I give myself the [P on this one

The valve covers definitely need the baffles in them.
As far as chrome valve covers, pan or even a timing cover, keeping chrome from leaking is dang near impossible.

Yea it’s bad enough trying to keep SBC covers from leaking. My previous 305 had the chrome covers,
I was just shown a 95 vette at my bud's shop running dual breathers on a 5.7 instead of pcv. Right now I’m doing the same, for now anyway.

I was just looking at 1967 327 engines that just had the breather combined with fill tube.. There is a swap meet Memorial Day near me, going to look for a deal on baffled covers.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.jpg
    IMG_2619.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
To keep the dragster engine clean I use these Mopar style push in breathers that have an outlet for a 5/8" hose. I teed them together and run a single hose into an old military canteen. The breathers you see are Mr. Gasket.

Attachments

• IMG_3215.jpg
    IMG_3215.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I see Bob, you have a catch can. I was thinking of running those style breathers with a T to catch any fumes back to air cleaner. But with what I have now I am not seeing much at all, but still watching this plan.

My bud is building this crazy Bronco with dual turbos and intercoioler, he says he must run the catch can. He is trailering it to one of our largest shows at Bay Life church here in Valrico today. Film at 11.

I've always used a PCV on one cover and a breather on the other (both baffled) and subscribed to the theory that the PCV creates the situation that it is drawing the fumes in thru the breather and out the PCV to the carb and burning them, reducing sludge buildup throughout the engine, especially the upper reaches of the engine, lifter valley, rockers, valvetrain, etc. To add to that on the old 360 Ford engine in the Hercules, I added one of those cheap inline catch cans to the hose from the PCV to the carb to monitor the amount of oil that is actually being drawn thru the carb. Quite a lot, before putting in new valve seals, now a lot less, plus it keeps that oil from being burnt. It's an old engine but the theory applies to all, especially if you are boosting with a blower or turbos, there will be more blow by.

I've always used a PCV on one cover and a breather on the other (both baffled) and subscribed to the theory that the PCV creates the situation that it is drawing the fumes in thru the breather and out the PCV to the carb and burning them, reducing sludge buildup throughout the engine, especially the upper reaches of the engine, lifter valley, rockers, valvetrain, etc. To add to that on the old 360 Ford engine in the Hercules, I added one of those cheap inline catch cans to the hose from the PCV to the carb to monitor the amount of oil that is actually being drawn thru the carb. Quite a lot, before putting in new valve seals, now a lot less, plus it keeps that oil from being burnt. It's an old engine but the theory applies to all, especially if you are boosting with a blower or turbos, there will be more blow by.

What ZZ said!!!

I hear it. Found a set of baffled valve covers, going back to pcv, thanks for inputs.

To keep the dragster engine clean I use these Mopar style push in breathers that have an outlet for a 5/8" hose. I teed them together and run a single hose into an old military canteen. The breathers you see are Mr. Gasket.

Don't understand how that works? Does oil flow to the canteen?

I'm not sure if baffled or not baffled, although I do know my mind lately has been baffled!

After running the 350 in the Nova for the first time we had a lot of white smoke. on. I can't remember if we started with the MT Fluted valve covers or the plain jane chromies that look like the stockers, but my motor head buddy came up and said...."those valve covers have to go"

Changed them out and and Wala.....no more smoke!

On my 434 sb I had I ran the Speedway open breathers with the chrome tubes that just push down into your valve cover grommets. The breather slips over the tube and fastens with a hose clamps like a dirt track deal. Never had a problem and it stayed at 3000 rpm or better on the road. $25 a pair if Bidenomics hasn't affected the price.

I am still experimenting between the two choices. Interesting about the breather plus tube set up. I may look at that.

Glad you are still active with RRR/UDS, L-rat.

I read your entry on the Poetry thread. Will respond there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back