Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Torchie, Walter Chrysler didn't make any 'dud' motors, so with this opiniated sentiment I'm sure you'll get this 318.
Positive vibes, EH!

Thanks Mac.
Love the starter sound of those late 60's early 70's Mopars when you hit the key.
Went out in the shop this morning and decided I needed to cut out about half of the trunk floor repair I did yesterday.:eek::(
I don't have it in me right now so I went to work on the tail lights I want to use.
49-50 Merc.
Put together the set that has the tunneling box. The box will need to be trimmed way back.
I also did a quick mock up of just using a stock bezel and frenching it in to match the head lights.
I'm leaning toward that as it takes up less area and I'm not a huge fan of sunken tail lights.
These lights do have a LH/RH even though they look the same. The notch for drainage is always at the bottom.
If I gather my strength I may get out there with the sawzall to undo what I did yesterday. Maybe.........
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-12.jpg
    2-12.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-13.jpg
    2-13.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-14.jpg
    2-14.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-15.jpg
    2-15.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-16.jpg
    2-16.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 19
Tunneling is cool, but I am not sure it is right for this car. Be sure to check with your "doctor" before using tunneling. :D

Tunneling is cool, but I am not sure it is right for this car. Be sure to check with your "doctor" before using tunneling. :D

Won’t be recessed very deep Skip
And I’ll do some things to the outside edge as well.
I will know more when I get the rear fenders back on.
Torchie

Need to refresh on those 50 's customizing terms :) Tunneling is just deeper recessing of a part, generally headlights, tail lights, antennas etc.
Frenching is more like blending of a part into the body like headlight rings, where it is welded to the fender and smoothed. Or elimination of the trim altogether to fit the head or tail light closely to the surrounding body part.

Is tunneling deeper than Frenching?
This is the first time I've heard that term.
[P[P[P

Need to refresh on those 50 's customizing terms :) Tunneling is just deeper recessing of a part, generally headlights, tail lights, antennas etc.
Frenching is more like blending of a part into the body like headlight rings, where it is welded to the fender and smoothed. Or elimination of the trim altogether to fit the head or tail light closely to the surrounding body part.

Thanks ZZ.
My headlights are French'd, OI. PIc.1. I used the factory rings and then just attached them to the fender and removed the seam line. Like ZZ said , "Frenching is blending in a trim piece or other element to make a smooth flowing surface.
NOW.....
Tunneling as I call it or recessing was done some what back in the day( Mostly antennas) but really got a life of it's own in the 80's custom resurgence. Think 59 Caddy tail lights in a hole.:eek:
You now see things like headlights that are both French'd and tunneled. Which I don't really care for.
The big difference is that when you tunnel things like tail lights you usually use the stock bezel and can pull the piece out from the front, intact, to replace the bulbs. Frenching requires some sort of access to the back side to remove all the inner components and the lens. My headlights will have to be removed from inside the front fender. So if I french in the tail lights that will require the same thing.
If I use the tunneling box all I will need to do is access the studs that hold the light and the bezel in the box and the box remains attached to the body. Pic.2.
Given the location of the tail lights and all the new inner bracing I'm not sure either is a good option.:eek: [ddd
And just to make things interesting.....
There is this option. Pic.3. Using the 49 Plymouth bumper overriders to make the tail lights. Very traditional but tends to be used on cars from the 40's more.
We will save "Shaving. Decking Nosing and Pancaking" for another time.:p
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 14
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 14
Mock up time.
Tail lights will get recessed a bit and french'd.:eek::D :cool:
Keep on keeping on....
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-20.jpg
    2-20.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2-19.jpg
    2-19.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 2-18.jpg
    2-18.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 21
  • 2-8.jpg
    2-8.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 21
i like your rear torchie! :D:p

Now I'm blushing, joedo. :eek::p [ddd
Well ,the bad that comes with the good.
The 318 is out of the picture.
Messaged him to set up a time as he requested. Got a message back that he didn't measure correctly and that he can't get it out of his garage until the sattelite is running and moveable. Said he was sorry and said he never should have listed it.
I told him I didn't care if it sat there till spring. I'd stop by with the cash right now. He didn't respond and pulled the ad.
Ah... the internet.
Next.......
Torchie

I wouldn't be surprised to see it listed later at a higher price.

BY SOMEONE ELSE.

sorry for interrupting with my pessimism, but I have been on the receiving end of these messages, reply with "I'll take it", no haggling, just asking where to meet. guy says he gets off work at 4, meet at so and so.

3:15 guy says he wont be off till 6, no problem, a little weird that he got two hours over time willy nilly but ok.

4:15 guy says he decided to keep it. ad taken down, not marked sold.

three days later, new guy lists the same thing asking 4x the price, different garage, different part of town. message and the guy says yeah I got it from so and so, he had it sold but I offered him $XX more and he sold it to me.

people have no scruples any more.

BY SOMEONE ELSE.

sorry for interrupting with my pessimism, but I have been on the receiving end of these messages, reply with "I'll take it", no haggling, just asking where to meet. guy says he gets off work at 4, meet at so and so.

3:15 guy says he wont be off till 6, no problem, a little weird that he got two hours over time willy nilly but ok.

4:15 guy says he decided to keep it. ad taken down, not marked sold.

three days later, new guy lists the same thing asking 4x the price, different garage, different part of town. message and the guy says yeah I got it from so and so, he had it sold but I offered him $XX more and he sold it to me.

people have no scruples any more.

There are still some people left that do joedoh.
No worries as I have many irons in the fire as far as engine and chassis's for this car. If one doesn't work out. I move on to the next.
Who knows. maybe I'm just building a custom car body for somebody else.
Wouldn't be the first time.:eek: [dr [ddd :p
Torchie

There are still some people left that do joedoh.
No worries as I have many irons in the fire as far as engine and chassis's for this car. If one doesn't work out. I move on to the next.
Who knows. maybe I'm just building a custom car body for somebody else.
Wouldn't be the first time.:eek: [dr [ddd :p
Torchie
Isn't that the fun part anyway? :D [cl

A balmy 18 degrees and snow here today and this just showed up in my front yard.
99 S-10. 2 Wheel drive long wheel base. 122.9 inches
The Dodge's Wheel base is 123.5 Inches. So I think I can get it where it needs to be without having to cut the frame.[cl :D
I"m done flip flopping on the frame for this project. This will be it(Unless a beautiful stock 49-50 Dodge coronet frame falls from the sky.:p ).
So all you S-10 guys out there clue me in on doing a V-8 swap.
I suspect it will be a SBC as at this point I need to go with what works best.
Are you using the kits that are available or what??? HELP.:eek: :D
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-1.jpg
    2-1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 2-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 20