Still Making Progress On My T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

Got my frame painted last night, and got some front suspension parts painted today. I am really getting stoked. It's starting to look like a car (well, sort of a car. :rolleyes: )

My Son came over after work and helped me get it done. Had to work by floodlights.:)

Don

Don,
I saw your 101 page thread on the other site...Good lord...I will never be able to read all that.

Bonehead,
You driving down south or flying ?
Give me a call, I'll take you for a ride in "Dark Sarcasm"......

HE...HE...HE...HE...

Last edited:
The price of gas vs. a plane ticket bought 2 months ago, flying! I'll be at my brothers house in Naples, and off to the Keys for a dive trip!

Although, I would like to see if you could scare me.... I mean I'd like to get a ride in your truck.

Look at this, already Hijacking Don's thread.

Saw your frame pics on CHR Looks really good!

Last edited:
Woops, picture didn't post. Try again.

Well, we'll have to work on that.

Don

Don,
I'm still workin' a little on the permissions. I'll go back through again & look. Thanks for stoppin' by! What type of file extension was it that wouldn't post?

BoB

Bonehead, you are going to be right below me when you are in Naples. How long are you going to be there?

Flatbroke, that thread is only 101 pages. Didn't you take the Evelyn Woods Speedreading Home Study Course? :p :D Yeah, that thread kinda got crazy, I can't believe people have put up with it so long. It's been fun though.

Ok, let me try a picture again. Problem was, I wasn't maximizing the screen, so I didn't see the upload button. Here goes.

Don

Yaaaaaaay it worked. First picture is my Son Dan, he stopped by after work and helped me shoot color on. We worked with worklights, and surprisingly got it pretty even with no bugs or runs.

Attachments

• t frame finally painted 004.jpg
    t frame finally painted 004.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 167
  • t frame finally painted 005.jpg
    t frame finally painted 005.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 95
  • t frame finally painted 006.jpg
    t frame finally painted 006.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 106
  • t frame finally painted 008.jpg
    t frame finally painted 008.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 126
I'll be in town for about a week. Would love to stop in and see you if I get a chance. Pretty busy week planned so far.

I'm going over to pick up a new phone Monday and will get a new number. As soon as I have it, I'll PM it to you. Would love to get to meet you.

Don

I'm excited for ya Don. I had already seen the pics over at CHR. When are you going to start bolting parts on? And how did you build up a supply of early Ford backing plates?

I kinda became addicted to Ebay, and would find them listed in obscure places. I even stayed up til after 2 am one time to score a chrome front axle. I also got on a headlight kick, and am ok there for the next few cars too.

I'm a little bummed tonight though. I am having fits with spraying primer. Not sure what is going on, but tonight a brand new can of etch primer started spraying spider webs out of the gun. I had to quit and clean it out. Tried another batch, same thing. I have never had this trouble in my life, and am not sure what is going on. But Monday I will be at the door of the paint supplier to find out. :( :(

Don

Yeah, I cleaned the gun, used a different one, mixed up a new batch.......still no good. Monday morning I was at the door of the paint store, and they said they had never seen this happen. My buddy who is a body man was in the store at the same time, and he had no suggestions either. Reluctantly, sort of, the store gave me a refund on the primer, but I bought about $ 300 more in paint and supplies, so they still made out ok. Darned painting gets expensive when you add up all the buckets, sandpaper, thinner, etc.

Last night I shot the new primer on, and it went perfectly. Nice smooth coats, no webbing, etc. I also got most of the front end parts painted orange, and many of the chassis parts black. I have parts hanging everywhere in the shop drying. Today I am going to shoot the primer and paint onto the rear end and front spring, then I can start getting this baby up on wheels. (But first I have to paint the wheels orange instead of the red that's on them)

Here are some pictures of all my parts hanging up last night.

Don

Attachments

• t front end parts all painted 001.jpg
    t front end parts all painted 001.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 41
  • t front end parts all painted 004.jpg
    t front end parts all painted 004.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 39
  • t front end parts all painted 005.jpg
    t front end parts all painted 005.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 35
  • t front end parts all painted 006.jpg
    t front end parts all painted 006.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 33
  • t front end parts all painted 010.jpg
    t front end parts all painted 010.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 33
Don,
Your attention to detail almost baffels me. That thing is going to be nice. You do know that once you start the assembly process that you have to stop, take a pic, and post it before you get back to it.(RIGHT)
I'm just pickin' atcha.

It does look very nice Don.

Thanks Flat. That has been kind of a strange thing......bolt on a part, wash hands, take picture. Paint a part, wash hands, take picture. I must of taken 1000 pictures of this build, and am going to take the best ones, and put a photo album on the seat at cruises and shows. I did that on my '27, and it always surprised me how many people would take the time to stand there and look at page after page, then ask some questions. It also verifys that yoiu did the work yourself, because they can see it from start to finish.

I've seen couples looking at the pictures, and he is explaining some of the details to her. I would suggest everyone do this, it is a lot of fun and educational for the people looking at the album.

Don

That is something I haven't thought of for a car like one of these. Done it before on racecar builds but never thought to do it on something like this.
Cool idea. I bet you had tremenduos crowd interaction....

It's a very secret custom mix and I won't share it with anyone. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: JUST KIDDING. :) Don't you hate guys who are afraid to give out some color because someone else might actually use it too? I see it as flattering.

It is called Fusion Orange, a Hummer color. I was undecided as to what color to paint the T, and I looked out the window at work one day and saw this Hummer sitting there in that color. I walked outside, and it just looked so oldtimey that I fell in love with it. I found the owner standing at our parts counter and asked him what it was.

I painted the engine first, and it sort of made me wonder if I had picked the right color. Some days I would walk by the engine and love it, and some days I wasn't as sure. Originally, the T was going to have an orange body and frame, with maybe an off white suspension. But then I saw a coupe in a magazine with a semiblack body and gold wheels and undercarriage, so I switched the colors around. This orange color is very translucent, and hides nothing, so the parts have to be really straight, so I thought the frame might not work out too well because of the welds and all.

Even though they call it orange, it is more bronzish in person. I plan of doing all the suspension, front and rear, plus the wheels. The rest is going to be black.

Here are some more shots of it, and thanks for the comments.

Don

Attachments

• t sanderson headers 001.jpg
    t sanderson headers 001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 64
  • t trans painted.jpg
    t trans painted.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 39
  • t trans painted in sun 2.jpg
    t trans painted in sun 2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 39
Looks good, sure going to be a “stand out” color.
Bet you’ll be glad when you’re done painting stuff.
I don’t mind the spraying part of it, it’s all the prep and clean up I hate.
It wouldn’t be so bad if I could just clean my gun turn off the lights and shut the door, but I have to completely clean up my mess so I can get the other cars, etc. back into the garage.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back