Wildfire!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrolls

It's been a hot dry Summer this year in Colorado. Nowhere near the number of fires as they have out in California but this one started up yesterday. It's in the Zirkel Wilderness. As the crow flies it's about 10 miles from our home on Deer Mountain in Steamboat Springs. Earlier today it was 600 acres and grew to 3000 by 6:00 pm. They're calling it the Middle Fork Fire because it's near the middle fork of Mad Creek. I'm happy to be upwind!
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6237.jpg
    IMG_6237.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 62
we have one about 10 miles from us. there are a bunch more that started today. my dads place he just sold is surrounded by fires now. crazy for sure

Portland is filled with smoke from fires on Mt Hood and surrounds. A smoke column like that used to be a call to work when I was a younger man. Great respect for the guys and gals on the line.

Once I got called and was on my way to BLM HQ to go to the first fire of the season. I was driving my Grabber Lime 71 Cougar GT, and was kind of in a hurry. When the lights came on behind me, I pulled over like a good boy. When the officer walked up to my driver's side window and looked in at me in my yellow fire gear, he just cracked up laughing. So did I. Then he said, "Try to keep it down." and let me go on about my business of saving the world. :D

this is the train trestle across the river below the house I grew up in. we climbed all over that thing and spent many days fishing in the river

Attachments

• 18018.jpg
    18018.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 25
Wild fires are usually a threat out here. We've been lucky to have a really wet summer so it hasn't been bad around here. Good luck to all near the problem areas.

Wild fires are scary. We had a wet summer too, so we haven’t had many either. But, it’s going into fall, which is usually dry here, so it’s just a matter of time before some idiot sets or lets a fire get away from them. Most of the area around me is farm land, so we don’t have to worry too much. But all it takes is one idiot, and even farm land will burn over, thankfully not that large though.

A year or so ago we had an arsonist setting them around here! The cops caught that guy eventually. It got so bad the neighbors around here decided anybody caught carrying a gas can was suspect and subject to getting shot if he was caught in the woods. Not a good time to run out of gas in a vehicle..:rolleyes:

A year or so ago we had an arsonist setting them around here! The cops caught that guy eventually. It got so bad the neighbors around here decided anybody caught carrying a gas can was suspect and subject to getting shot if he was caught in the woods. Not a good time to run out of gas in a vehicle..:rolleyes:

they have hinted that someone might be setting some of these around here. nothing for sure, just rumor.

Not a good time to run out of gas in a vehicle..:rolleyes:

That's funny and not so funny. :eek:

they have hinted that someone might be setting some of these around here. nothing for sure, just rumor.

I have a cousin who's a genuine pyromaniac. He long ago received the help he needed and grew out of it, but before that, he was on the road to arsonist.

He was a kid then and decades have passed, but he'll tell you a pyro delights in the fire not the destruction, which is hard to accomplish in a dry forest. :eek:

I met a lot of "pyros" working on wildfires. They were the ones that found an appropriate outlet for their "obsession". :D

30 days later

It's still going and seems to have really blown up in the last few days. I took this from town today, 10 miles South of the fire.
attachment.php

Dale sent me this one from his house about 10 miles North of the same fire. He's also a couple thousand feet higher than town.
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6330.jpg
    IMG_6330.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6331.jpg
    IMG_6331.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 43
You guys and the California guys are blotting out the sun a bit around here with the smoke. Stay safe.

Latest posts

Back