Steering universal help

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vht

On my 28 I'm building I'm using a corvair box, reversed, set up like traditional steering. I'm using a column like we used in race cars, 3/4 center shaft. From where my column drop will be down to where the shaft comes out of the steering box, I have around 17 inches. The box sets over to the left instead of being a straight shot to the column. In other words, there isn't much room so I was planning on 2 universals and a short piece of D shaft but I think I'd be better off using a double u joint, one that slides on the steering shaft and over the 3/4 steering tube. What do you all think? I'll have to have a lower support either way but with the short distance is screwing things up. I think the double joints are good for up to 70 degrees.

I know all about the Hamb, a lot of info but a lot of BS too. I would take a pic but I have nothing to take a pic of. I'm going to try and find the length of one of those double joints and try and do some measuring. I'm working on the firewall right now and I got a start on the dash. When I get a little farther along, I can mock up the column.

Latest posts

Back