`54/`90 shop truck / bike hauler

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sonofagun I forgot the pictures, my apologies! brb

edit

Attachments

• 56758263392__829ED579-0BD7-4D14-AFAA-D87770B43E33.jpeg
    56758263392__829ED579-0BD7-4D14-AFAA-D87770B43E33.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 64
Dude nice work more pics.

thanks.

The owner dropped off a couple Caddy taillights. Would have been a bit easier if I had them when building the box but they are in and I like the looks :)

Attachments

• IMGP1445.jpg
    IMGP1445.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMGP1446.jpg
    IMGP1446.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMGP1447.jpg
    IMGP1447.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 50
Box looks great.[cl :cool: :D
Those caddy tail lights have become favored for use on many of the newer styled custom builds as well.
[P [P [P
Torchie

When GM came out with those lights, they were an instant hit.

Thanks for giving me an idea on how to use mine. Most step-side steak pockets are too shallow to use them. I like your raised surface idea. [cl

When GM came out with those lights, they were an instant hit.

Thanks for giving me an idea on how to use mine. Most step-side steak pockets are too shallow to use them. I like your raised surface idea. [cl

I like the raised surface too. It almost looks like the truck grew into the lights. I don't mean that in a bad way, I think it's neat! [dr

thanks guys. I really didn`t see any other way to get those lights in, given the shape and room available. I forgot to take pics of the process :rolleyes: but I started with cutting holes in the steaks and fixed the light in position. Then worked sheetmetal straight up around them. That gave me an edge to work towards with the exterior panels. The lid side was not too difficult but the outer side was tricky to get a snug fit since the steak has a curve to it.
I hope they wont look out of place when the lid is done.

thanks guys. I really didn`t see any other way to get those lights in, given the shape and room available. I forgot to take pics of the process :rolleyes: but I started with cutting holes in the steaks and fixed the light in position. Then worked sheetmetal straight up around them. That gave me an edge to work towards with the exterior panels. The lid side was not too difficult but the outer side was tricky to get a snug fit since the steak has a curve to it.
I hope they wont look out of place when the lid is done.

I notice you've said "lid" a couple times but I'm not sure what you're referring to, is that what you call the tailgate?

I notice you've said "lid" a couple times but I'm not sure what you're referring to, is that what you call the tailgate?

:eek: language barrier... It looked stupid to me when writing but I was too lazy to go translate it plus most of the time google doesnt understand me lol... In dutch, the word for tailgate is the same as the word for decklid...

Thanks for helping me with the little "itch" I`ve had all day :D

wow, last post 1-15-2019... 2 yrs of collecting dust :D
I really want it out of the shop, so I will try my best to keep going till it`s done.

The wide bed also means it needs a new tailgate. "chevrolet" gets replaced by " VG motorcycle " I had 2 pieces of steel laser cut with the company logo.
One 3mm for depth and one 6mm to keep it all straight and in position.
Drilled a few holes through both and the 19ga panel in between and bolted it all together. Then clamped the package to the welding table and started working the panel down through the 3mm plate.
3mm deep was quiet ambitious and it took 2 attempts since the first one cracked ... luckily on the second letter. I filed a radius to all edges and gave it a coat of grease. That helped. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMGP6200.jpg
    IMGP6200.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 93

Latest posts

Back