4" or 6" drop axle?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

401ton

I'm about ready to purchase a new complete (spring, hairpin and axle for $499) Speedway drop axle for my 46' Bobber Truck cab project. The basic config. is 4" stacked "Z" frame in the front. The axle will be under the frame just in front of the engine. So far all my frame mods are just tack welded in place, so any changes can be made.

My question is: Do I order the 4" or 6" drop axle?

I'm leaning towards ordering the 6" drop axle and that would be enough to keep the truck low without the suicide spring perches using my current 4" stacked frame.

Thanks for any help!

401ton

Depending on how tall your front tires are, a 6 inch dropped axle sits VERY close to the pavement in the center. I even have to use an aluminum floorjack that goes very low to get under my 4 incher, and it just makes it. If you are running the spring over the axle you will also have spring perches where the nuts and part of the threads will be sticking down even further

Going down the road and over speed bumps COULD be an issue too. Just a thought.

Don

I apprciate both your comments.

I thought 6" drop low would be the way to go at first too, just want to make the correct purchase.

Don brings up a good point as well. It's got to be driveable and not sure if I have seen a front shot ever of a 6" drop. Need taller tires then which I hadn't considered yet.

I haven't done the steering or tires yet, so I have some room to alter a few things.

I have 54 chevy car spindles and brakes I was going to use. I didn't know which axle would be best for running the tie rod under the frame and through the hairpins either. I haven't purchased any steering yet, so I could do either behind the axle yet too. I wanted to run steering off drivers front wheel and not use a drag link, but will do whichever works as long as it is behind axle under frame.

Pictures show frame sitting on 4" blocks st what I would consider lowest ride height. 2" x 4" frame with one stack ("Z").

Any more help or ideas appreciated so I can order the right axle.

Thanks,
401ton

100_0540.jpg

100_0544.jpg

I'm about ready to purchase a new complete (spring, hairpin and axle for $499) Speedway drop axle for my 46' Bobber Truck cab project. The basic config. is 4" stacked "Z" frame in the front. The axle will be under the frame just in front of the engine. So far all my frame mods are just tack welded in place, so any changes can be made.

My question is: Do I order the 4" or 6" drop axle?

I'm leaning towards ordering the 6" drop axle and that would be enough to keep the truck low without the suicide spring perches using my current 4" stacked frame.

Thanks for any help!

401ton

We can probably save you a $100 on that axle set up. We make and sell a lot of them. I say use a 4" axle and if you need to go lower change the perch. A lot easier and a lot cheaper.

We can probably save you a $100 on that axle set up. We make and sell a lot of them. I say use a 4" axle and if you need to go lower change the perch. A lot easier and a lot cheaper.

Thanks for the offer. I'll give you a call to discuss. I'm happy to do some biz with someone in this community.

After some more discussions with someone else, it seems I need to get a spring-over design if I mount it under the frame. The 6 inch drop may also add a couple headaches with tie rod routing etc.

Latest posts

Back