Is this a good front axle setup???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin51

A guy just emailed me and has this setup he uses on Tbuckets:

He has a 50 chevy 1/2 ton truck axle with 53 chevy car spindles installed as well as an early 70's mopar steering box and drag link all for $100.

What do you guys think is it a deal? I am an early stages of getting everything together. Also will it all work together?

Thanks

For the parts you are getting, if they are usable, that's a steal price wise. Whether they will work for you on your project is up to you.

Would it me easy enough to make work though with like a spring perch? Something like the picture I attached.

Attachments

• DSCN5041.jpg
    DSCN5041.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 125
If your thinking of a cross spring, you can fabricate the parts to do it. You have to get your mind into the fact that you want to build it. The rest will come to you as you go. :D While you are in the gathering parts stage, now is the time that you figure out what you want the rod to be. If you want the end result to look like you want, think about things such as matching the axle widths front and rear. Tire and wheels you want to use can help if the widths differ some. Do you want to run same bolt patterns for wheels all around? I'm not sure which steering box you have but some early mopars didn't need reversing to run traditional steering which is a plus if that's the way you want to go. Axle widths will also have to be figured if you are running fenders. Lots of stuff to think about in the beginning. Best advice I could give you is look around and find what you really want that somebody else has completed already. Look at it real good and plan for similar parts. Don't worry if somewhere down the line you don't change things. I don't think anybody here hasn't stopped and done something over.

The front axle you are looking at is set up for parallel leaf springs with no wish bones or radius rods needed.
The spring set up in you pic is of the Ford style transverse buggy spring with the wishbones.
Many people have used the Chevy front axle and made spring eye perches that bolt to the exsisting spring pads on the Chevy axle and use the Ford style cross or transverse buggy spring. Then they buy or make a set of "Bat wing" style brackets to add radius rods to the front axle.
For the price you have mentioned it seem to be a good deal if it will work for you. Width-drop-bolt pattern ect.
Don't know a thing about the steering box but as smallfoot has said you can make most things work if you set your mind to it.
Torchie

The front axle you are looking at is set up for parallel leaf springs with no wish bones or radius rods needed.
The spring set up in you pic is of the Ford style transverse buggy spring with the wishbones.
Many people have used the Chevy front axle and made spring eye perches that bolt to the exsisting spring pads on the Chevy axle and use the Ford style cross or transverse buggy spring. Then they buy or make a set of "Bat wing" style brackets to add radius rods to the front axle.
For the price you have mentioned it seem to be a good deal if it will work for you. Width-drop-bolt pattern ect.
Don't know a thing about the steering box but as smallfoot has said you can make most things work if you set your mind to it.
Torchie

Torchie,

This may be a stupid question but I put an ad on craigslist looking for 28-38 ford front model A or sedan axles. I have found some but they all are of course setup with wishbones because that's how they come im assuming. Where or what years would I find the leaf springs I need to use If I want to go that route? I'm learning here and really don't know to much yet!!!!

Thanks hopefully that makes sense [S

Torchie,

This may be a stupid question but I put an ad on craigslist looking for 28-38 ford front model A or sedan axles. I have found some but they all are of course setup with wishbones because that's how they come im assuming. Where or what years would I find the leaf springs I need to use If I want to go that route? I'm learning here and really don't know to much yet!!!!

Thanks hopefully that makes sense [S

Nothing stupid about it as we all started somewhere...
Pic is of a Typical Ford Front axle and transverse buggy spring set up..
Ford used this type of front suspension on their cars from the fist Model T's (1909 ish-1927)up until 1949 when they went to an IFS setup.
Pre 1939 units had Mechanical brakes on them. In 39 Hydraulics were offered by Ford for the first time.
Axle width got wider as the cars got bigger so a 42-48 Front axle is wider than a 37 thru 41.
Model T axles aren't used for much other than Model T's.
Model A(1928-31) axles can be fitted with later spindles and backing plates to convert to Hydraulic brakes as can the front axles that are pre 39 Mechanical brakes.
Hot rodders split the front wishbones mainly to allow for clearance when installing a bigger engine in a stock Ford frame although it can be done other ways as well.

If you buy a axle with out a spring you will need to measure the distance between the spring perches to determine what size spring you will need.
Their are many aftermarket products such as Posie's that will work.
You may want to start up a build thread. Even if you just have some parts it will give us a better idea of what you are doing.
Hope this helps.....
Torchie.

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 48
Go to www.speedwaymotors.com They have a suspension section with every piece of the Ford buggy spring suspension. Dropped axles, wishbone and four link kits, disc brakes, you name it. They also have neat diagrams and tips on how to set up springs, wishbones, and steering systems. Go have a look, do a lot of reading, then you can decide what works best for you. Plenty of guys here that know other tips and tricks, too.

Go to www.speedwaymotors.com They have a suspension section with every piece of the Ford buggy spring suspension. Dropped axles, wishbone and four link kits, disc brakes, you name it. They also have neat diagrams and tips on how to set up springs, wishbones, and steering systems. Go have a look, do a lot of reading, then you can decide what works best for you. Plenty of guys here that know other tips and tricks, too.

That's funny you mention this my Speedway book just arrived yesterday in the mail just haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

Thanks

So many ideas and so many ways to choose to go...

A dilemma that we've all been thru....take your time, take a deep breath and take a look at some of the excellent examples of front end set up that these gentlemen have fabbed....then decide what you think you'd like to use...
Ultimately, the vehicle you decide to build will determine the dimensions of what you need to accomplish it...all very good questions but I think it was mentioned that you need to plan out what you intend to build then decide the bits and pieces you need to accomplish it....might be getting overload thinking of so much right off...but of course, this is JMHO..... Good luck with what you decide....these guys on RRR can help you along....welcome aboard ....

reversing a steering gear

I used a corvair box on a T bucket project and followed the instructions in the CCR plans to reverse it.
There are gear boxes that use the same castings but the internals are opposite.
years ago I was an engineer at Ford and a load of mercury steering gears were sent to the Pickup assembly plant. EVERYTHING bolted together. The trucks had to make a sharp right turn at the end of the assembly line and the driver just missed hitting the seat cushion shop when the truck went left.
some older dodge pickups and mopar cars have the same castings with opposite internals.

I used a corvair box on a T bucket project and followed the instructions in the CCR plans to reverse it.
There are gear boxes that use the same castings but the internals are opposite.
years ago I was an engineer at Ford and a load of mercury steering gears were sent to the Pickup assembly plant. EVERYTHING bolted together. The trucks had to make a sharp right turn at the end of the assembly line and the driver just missed hitting the seat cushion shop when the truck went left.
some older dodge pickups and mopar cars have the same castings with opposite internals.

That's what I'm kind of hoping with the dodge steering box this guy has that it's going to be reversed already.

Build wise I am going back and forth between a tudor style or get a old truck cab and make my own box if I can't find one and make my own frame. I will be running a quick change and running wide 5 racing hubs on all 4 corners. That's why I would like these chevy spindles the guy has because I found a thread on how to convert/machine these spindles and wide 5 snouts to get it to work. Problem is with this setup I would like to mount it suicide any one have any pictures with chevy axle setup mounted like that?

It looks like our questions merge a little. I was asking about a 41 axle in a model a. I am doing a four link with that axle. Zzrodder built his 55 with a Chevy axle and made custome bones for the frame attachment. Instead of doing a buggy spring setup he went with an airbag setup. Looks cool

This looks cool. My car will have fenders, so the brackets would be different. Buggy spring in stock location, 4 bars off brackets already installed. Some where in there needs a shock mount. Thanks for posting that pic. When I get to the shop on Monday I will check out how that will work

Looks to me like RPMs brackets could be reversed for an axle behind setup. Then the cross member could center the axle as needed. Or he could for sure build exactly what you are after.

Nice looking kit.

Latest posts

Back