3" Drop Axle with Cross Steering Setup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1952B3b23

Hi Guys,

I want to lower my '52 Dodge truck that im building. It has the stock i-beam front axle and cross steering set up. I plan to get the axle dropped 3 inches by Nostalgia Sid, heres his link:

http://www.droppedaxles.com/

I've heard that i can use 1948-1964 Ford dropped tie rod ends to gain clearance for the tie rod. Heres the link for those from speedway:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1948-64-Ford-Pickup-Tie-Rod-End-Drops,50152.html

My question is what can i do about gaining clearance for the drag link? My drag link is brand new and the ends do not look removable. So using a dropped tie rod end for there seems out of the question. Ive thought about bending the steering arms down but they are pretty short and i dont know if i'd be able to get enough clearance. If you guys want pics to help explain i'd be glad to post.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Normaly when using a dropped axle you would use dropped steering arms as well. I know that speedway sells them for Fords. Don't know that they would work on your Dodge backing plate or spindles. You may be able to fit them.
Hope this helps.
Torchie.

Normaly when using a dropped axle you would use dropped steering arms as well. I know that speedway sells them for Fords. Don't know that they would work on your Dodge backing plate or spindles. You may be able to fit them.
Hope this helps.
Torchie.

Thanks for the reply Torchie. I dont know if the ford drop spindles will work, i'll have to look into those. I may end up having to make my own new steering arms [S.

-Chris

If you have Sid drop your axle wouldn't he also have the tie rod and ends?
If not, the Speedway tie rod ends and drag link would be your next option.
The thing to check is if the taper in the Dodge spindle steering arms are the same as the 7 degree Ford tie rod ends. If they are different then you'll need to take it to a machine shop or buy the correct tapered ream from Speedway also.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CLK4_smRzL4CFWgF7AodsgcARA
91089411_L.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply Old Iron. I haven't talked with Sid yet so i don't know if he sells the tie rod and ends, i'll ask him. I do know that my steering arms are the traditional 11/16" 7 degree taper ones.

I heard from a fellow who did this to his 52 dodge truck that he used dropped tie rod ends for the tie rod and that worked. He hasn't figured out what to do yet about making the drag link clear the leaf springs. Im not to sure either.

-Chris

i went and looked at you build again.
What about running the axle on top of the springs instead of under them?Then use shorter shocks.

attachment.php

Have yo got any pics?

I do, i'll post them up when i get home from work.

This drag link issue is really the only thing holding me back from getting the axle dropped. Im sure im not the only one thats tried doing this to a Dodge. Im just having a hard time finding someone who has. I also e-mailed Sid and asked him if he has any suggestions. We shall see what he says.

-Chris

Heres a few pics of the setup that i got going on. These are the shots of the passenger side wheel.

Pic 1 - The drag link is the top most member in the picture. The end of the drag link goes into the steering arm downward and then the nut attaches from the bottom. The tie rod is the member with the masking tape on it. The tie rod end goes into the steering arm upward and the nut attaches from the top.

Pic 2 - A side view shot of the setup. You can see the drag link is actually at a higher elevation than the tie rod. The steering arm actually bends upward after the point where the tie rod attaches. I some how need to make this go down. So that when the axle is dropped i can still clear the leaf spring.

Pic 3 - Just another view of what it looks like now.

Any body have any ideas? Let me know if you want any more pics.

Thanks,

-Chris

Attachments

• photo 1 (42).JPG
    photo 1 (42).JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 66
  • photo 3 (40).JPG
    photo 3 (40).JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 2 (42).JPG
    photo 2 (42).JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 58
i went and looked at you build again.
What about running the axle on top of the springs instead of under them?Then use shorter shocks.

attachment.php

If i was to do that i'd have to notch the frame to make space for suspension travel. I've also heard from some guys who have attempted doing that that they didnt really like the outcome for whatever reason. Also im pretty sure the axle would smash my oil pan the way i have the 4bt mounted. Thanks for the thought though.

-Chris

I would imagine if you needed new steering arms RPM(easyTbucket) could easily make you some. Other then that I got nothing to help lol.

I think the fords are 3 3/8 on center, but that's off the top of my head and may not be correct.

3 3/8 appears to be correct. I just went out and did a quick measure of some Ford backing plates.
As I said in my first post that may have been misread I believe that you need to get dropped steering arms(not spindles). Everyone that I know that has used a dropped axle has had problems with clearence if they don't use dropped steering arms.
If the set that you show doesn't line up with your exsisting holes you may have to do as JB suggests and have some fab'd.
Good luck.
Torchie.

Thanks Torchie and JBailey.

You're right i will need to get dropped steering arms not spindles. I'll have to measure up my hole spacing and see if it matches. Ive spent hours scouring the interweb trying to come up with a solution. The best i could do so far are those Ford arms. If thats a no go then i'll contact RPM and see what he can do.

Thanks for the help,

-Chris

EDIT: Measured the center to center hole distance on my steering arms and its about 2-1/4". Looks like the Ford option is out the window.

Last edited:
Looks like thats the answer to your issues. Everything stock just heated and bent. Cool deal.[cl
Post up some pics of the finished setup.
Torchie.

Are the steering arms just mounted with 2 bolts to the spindle? I'd get some 1" steel plate and torch out my own - lots of grinding drilling and bending, but I don't think there is any off the shelf alternative...

Torchie:

I was happy that someone showed me that thread. It gives me a solution that i know will work. Im not to sure if thats the way ill do it if i can figure out something with the steering arms.

zzrodder:

Yup, the steering arms mount with two bolts to the spindle. I may just give that approach a shot. If i cant come up with something that'll work i can always defer to how the guy over on the HAMB did it. There are no off the shelf dropped steering arms for these old dodges, so making them is the only solution.

Either way i'll definitely post up my progress on here. I also had the idea of writing up a short article on how to do it (once i figure it out) and sending it to Sid. Then maybe he'll put it up on his website so fellow dodge guys wont have to hunt to figure it out.

Thanks for the replies,

-Chris

Sid must have not done enough Dodges yet, On a Chevy/Ford-he offers to bend down the sterring arms to align everything properly with the dropped axles.

He does some excellent work also, BTW.

Dropped steering arms

1952B3...did you ever drop the front axle? I wanted to know how you handled the tie rods and drag link if you did....I also read the posts on the HAMB, and that is a back up idea....I already have the dropped axel from SID and I am wading through the various options.....

If you could let me know that would be great....Thanks

Latest posts

Back