King Pin HELP!!!!!!!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will be tight at first, especially if you painted the parts. In fact, they give you some shims in the box to make it tighter.

You should be able to hand push the kingpin into place, after positioning the bearing in the bottom of the opening, under the axle. BTW, you know the bearing goes so that no water can go into it from the top, don't you? The shielded part is the top of the bearing.

After driving for a while, it will loosen up ok.

Don

Thanks Don, thats what I thought. I got a king pin set from SSB that uses needle bearings instead of bushings. And wasn't too sure how far to drive in the bearing that goes against the thrust bearing. BTW the way the thrust bearing is cleaverly marked. The correct side says TOP, for us bearingly challenged.:)

Wow, I've thought about going to those roller bearing ones, and only have not because they are a little pricey. But I bet they really work well. Nice to hear they marked the bearings too. All of them might have this, but I have never looked, as I knew which way they go.

All you will want to do is center the needle bearing assembly in the spindle, I would guess it has to be turned so the grease from the grease fittings can get into each one? I know on the regular bronze ones you have to line up the grooves so grease will enter.

Don

Ur right, they are pricey and I destroyed two of the needle bearings, off the to the bearing store Monday. :eek:

The pins themselves are drilled on each end for the zirc. The top of the pin has two holes in the side, the bottom has one hole in the side for the grease to pass through.

A "tool" is provided the install the bearings, its soft metal so I opted to use a 13/16 spark plug socket instead, worked great.

Attachments

• kingpin.jpg
    kingpin.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 21
  • kingpin1.jpg
    kingpin1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts

Back