Appreciate your time in the sun...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
In my day job I come across all sorts of ways the human race decides to stop participating in the experiment called life. Saturday I did a vehicle inspection on two vehicle from an accident where the passenger of a Tacoma was crushed by a 3500 dodge cummins. The week before was an elderly man who fell outside and froze (had been drinking). OD's, suicides (guns, pills, ropes and 1 jumped off a bridge) and multiple car crashes all of which don't phase me much but that brings me to the main part of the story...

A couple of days before Christmas my mom's boyfried of 10 years couldn't shake a cold he had. After a weird leg convulsion he went to the hospital. Pneumonia they said. 2 day stay with antibiotics then back home. Just before the new year he's no better. Back to the ER and more test, another weird seizure and they finally figure out on Thursday he has stage 4 lung cancer which has mastisized into his brain. We all get the news at 2pm and then by 7pm he has passed away. For some reason I can't wrap my brain around the fact that it happened so quickly and there was barely any symptoms. He was 64 (8 years younger than my Mom).

So wake up and enjoy the morning sun, enjoy your messy work shops (or OCD neat ones if that's your gig) maybe call your buddy you just haven't had time to get around to doing and contemplate the very short amount of time we get to contribute to the experiment called life.

I know the feeling! Lost an old friend just before Christmas. Known each other since '59! He was mowing his mother's lawn, wasn't feeling well so he went inside to get a drink, started sweating profusely & went unresponsive. His mother called EMS but by the time they got there he was gone. 64 yrs old... 5 yrs younger than me, still find it hard to believe! Our other buddy took it really hard... they were very close & the same age! I've lost a lost of friends lately but this one was a real shock! You never know when your time's up & it's definitely given me a fresh outlook!

BoB

you are so right jfg... we(me) all take it for granted.....
been trying real hard lately to spend time with those
who mean the most to me... I too have lost way more
close friends lately than I care to think about...and even
more with serious health issues, count our blessings....
and sorry for your loss........

Sorry for you loss! You have a difficult job for sure to see all the death and destruction to people..But to lose someone you know is a different scenario. Getting up in age I've seen way to many friends pass away...some fast and others slowly...Still hurts no matter how they pass! :(

One of the HAMB members has the by-line, "getting old ain't for sissies".

I don't know how you face the human carnage you deal with in your job, JFG. Terrible shock to your Mom to lose her friend in such a sudden and unexpected way.

I'm 75 and when I walk around a swap meet or car show I see very few guys older than me. We older guys talk about it at Thursday garage night. Yes, we've lost a few the last couple years. Can't help wondering/worrying if I'll still be building hot rods in ten years or if I'll be another obit pinned on the garage bulletin board.

How do you put that crap out of your mind and just go on and have a good time???

Last edited:
I`ve lost many who were dear to me, waaay young. Dad at 47 ,mom at 57 , a bunch of friends under 50. All I look for in life is to do stuff I like and try to make another person happy whereever I can. "live every like it`s your last"...?
well....I dunno bout that... [S I guess I`d end up dead and broke on day 1 :rolleyes:

When I was young and dumb I didn't think I'd live to see 21 and didn't care.
Now I think life is too short and want things to slow down so I can enjoy more
of it.
The really sad part is when we are dead and gone we may be missed by some but every day living will go on with out us.

Let's all just go for a joy ride enjoy it for what it is.

Latest posts

Back