Older Than Dirt Quiz...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I least I only remembered 11....party lines? Hell ya, we had 9 people on our line, our ring was three short, and the number was two letters and 5 numbers.....lol. And now kids don't know how to use a dial phone.

We used to eat violets too. They are still around. Taste a little like soap. Also I never heard of Butch Wax either. I thought it was the same as Butchers Wax but was very wrong. Jim

Got them all....:eek:
Boones Farm....LOL
I can remember when Gallo came in a container like a milk carton.:D
Then of course there was Annie Greensprings wine as well.
One that I would have added is Ginger beer but now that the hipsters have rediscovered Moscow Mules it's fairly common again.
And not only home delivery for milk but the milk chute as well. We used to crawl thru it to get into our locked house when we were little.
Not me in the picture.LOL
Torchie

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 16
I missed 6 and 8. Qualified, this sure stirred up a lot of memories. I still have a lot 45's dating back to 1957, a huge vinyl collection of rock.

I got 15, quicker and easier than I care to admit. :eek:

#6 - I had to Google search "Butch Wax". I won't share my frightening results, but suffice it to say, I now understand the origins and how it applies to certain walks of life today.

#13 - I've never heard of Boone's Farm. (Thank you, offroadrolls.)

#16 - Legend has it, my younger brother was... how do I say this... a "delivered" product. :D

Ha! I had to go back and see what #16 was [cl

I got 9.

I knew what 90% of the stuff was, I wasn't around when it was popular. But I have had Black Jack Gum my dad loves that stuff. LOL

Here's some from my early years:
The Ragman came through the neighborhood in a horse-drawn wagon shouting "Rags". People would sell him rags, metal and any other castoffs they had.

When the TV would go on the blink Dad would remove the tubes, take them to the drug store where they had a tester you could use. Test the tubes and buy new ones. Happened quite often.

Watching "Test Pattern" on the little round TV screen til programming started.

Taking the street car downtown with a friend and no parent when you were 8 years old.

Ah, the tube testers and that round screen tv....hoho! There was an Albertson's Drug Store in the little part of town where I grew up that had the tube testers. My uncle also found one somewhere and bought it and we started testing with his. I remember a small tv that sat on the refrigerator with a small round screen...
In my neighborhood we had an ice cream man but he didn't come by in a truck. He rode a bicycle with an icebox built on the front. The ice cream trucks came later...

Here's some from my early years:
The Ragman came through the neighborhood in a horse-drawn wagon shouting "Rags". People would sell him rags, metal and any other castoffs they had.

When the TV would go on the blink Dad would remove the tubes, take them to the drug store where they had a tester you could use. Test the tubes and buy new ones. Happened quite often.

Watching "Test Pattern" on the little round TV screen til programming started.

Taking the street car downtown with a friend and no parent when you were 8 years old.

Bob.
You got me on the rag man with the horse drawn wagon but I remember a guy that used to come around in a truck to sharpen knives and scissors. Also the fuller brush man coming door to door.
We had a Good Humor truck in our neighborhood.
watching the test patterns when the stations went off the air as well.
Also radio stations that had to stop transmitting at sunset.
No street cars although I still remember crossing over the ,as of then, un removed tracks..
Guess I'm just an old soul....
Torchie

Too easy, got them all :) I remember the ice man carrying a block of ice with tongs into the house and putting it in the top of the icebox. We continued to call refrigerators iceboxs for years. Strange i was thinking about the 5 and dime stores yesterday. Hadn't come to mind in probably 30 years now here it is. :confused: Kresges was the dime store and Woolworths was the dollar store.

No steam train e-man. My Grandmother and I (6 years old) took the train from St. Paul to Chicago to visit some relatives. They lived in a high rise apartment building. I didn't know people lived that way.

Remember ration stamps for gas and sugar and probably other stuff? Peeling the labels off cans and flattening them for the war effort. Penny post cards. Treadle sewing machine my grandmother made my clothes with. Milking 3 cows by hand on my grandpas farm and churning butter.

Latest posts

Back