Minnesota Title from Scratch

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VINTrip025.jpg

March 12, 2013. Today. The day to get my VIN sticker put on the roadster. 15 degrees out so I put lots of clothes on. Not enough however. I even used some of those hand and toe warmer packets.
The 60 mile trip to the inspection station was cold and harsh. Roads are suffering spring breakup so they are very washboardy. Down around my destination, Faribault there was snow/salt on the pavement. Not fun in a fenderless roadster.
The inspector asked why I was there to which I replied, "VIN sticker to be applied to my pride and joy". A problem, he didn't have it. Fortunately he was willing to drive to the office a mile away to get it from the file. Meanwhile I had a nice visit with the owner of the repair shop where DMV inspections take place a half day a month. There is a bigger inspection station much closer to home but it is a third world zoo and the inspectors are harried and understandably usually in a foul mood. Better to drive in freezing weather to deal with a couple nice guys in a smaller town. VIN tag applied, we sat around and discussed cars and our various ailments. Then I drove and froze my way home.
Once home I delivered the paperwork associated with the just completed VIN sticker ceremony to the local Deputy Registrar. That office will send the paperwork to a state office which will eventually send my Street Rod license plate and title to me.
Only about 3 more months to go...

See the pretty blue VIN sticker and dried slush in the pic above.

Last edited:
Holy Crap Bob, 60 miles in 15 degree weather....

Brutal is an understatement......wow....your a better man than I gunga din....surprised you had any fingers toes or nose left....but it's done and the pneumonia will subside in a few..lol...you is one brave fella....I hate the cold....and do my best to stay the heck out of it....:D

2008_0803box0001.jpg

Todd, it's a plastic car I built before I had a digital camera. So, no build pics.
Sarge, it was a 120 mile round trip. The faster I went the colder I got.
Last year, Sam, it was in the 70's this time of year. Admittedly, that's warmer than normal, but 40's would have been tolerable.

Next up: The Reo.

Yea! Boo!

Amazing! I received the title in the mail today. That's about 10 weeks faster than expected.[cl

Only problem is...no license plates??? Looks like more calls, letters and red tape ahead.:confused:

Somwe people just don't realize the blood sweat tears and "chills" we go through for the love of building cars and trucks. Awesome build, awesome story. And the little blue tag is the best award you will ever get.
Kudos Bob

Nice Job
Lungs

Got Plates!

RoadsterPlates005.jpg

Today in the mail I received my Street Rod plates. I applied on May 11, 2011.

I'll admit a good share of the delay, about half, was because I would put the car in storage for the winter each year. Nevertheless, it was a slow process.

Because this is a fiberglass body I didn't have to go through the bonding process. Any of you Minnesota guys dragging a body out of a gully will have to do that in addition to everything else I had to do.

I have seen questions about receipts. If you are like me you've had engines, trannys and rear ends laying around for years and might not even remember where you got some of them. I've been told by the DMV that it is acceptable to write a letter explaining this circumstance. Or possibly you could "rebuy" those parts from friends or relatives, who would then provide receipts.

Sam, if I get to Torquefest it will be a one day down and back deal. And if the weather is nice, I'll take the '27 Chrysler Tub.

Mn titles

interested in this, as we have an old 46 Plymouth 2 door sedan sitting in the woods... no hope for a title for that... though it's been on our property for at least 35 years...

wifey can't find the signed off title that her dad had for my Studie project either, so I may have to go through all this with that ride as well...

Mag ,
Mn titles are also a registration .. there plenty of old junk yards that have boxes FULL of old ones I would go that route as I used to do it all the time when I lived in the Peoples Republic of Maryland ....
Oldog

Latest posts

Back