LS Surprise

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Iron

A friend of mine asked if I would change the engine out in 97 GMC
I went and got it and here's what he wants.
A nicely built 5.3 LS taken out and a 488 BBC installed.
I was baffled by the backwards move (in my opinion). What had happened was a local shop tuned the 5.3 for him and the charge was over $500 and he didn't feel like it had made much difference so he wanted to go back to a carbureted engine [S :confused: I could not talk him into putting a carburetor on the LS, he was so soured on it.

attachment.php

Sorry for this bad pic
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160217_094814941.jpg
    IMG_20160217_094814941.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20160218_141459946.jpg
    IMG_20160218_141459946.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 99
I could not talk him into putting a carburetor on the LS, he was so soured on it.

I think a cam change would have been the ticket! Definitely a step back IMO! I know gas is cheap right now but don't think that's gonna last forever... them BB's can really suck it up!:eek:

BoB

No offense, but that was a dumb move on his part. So much can be done to wake up an LS, and it was already installed and running! Turbo, cam, supercharger, tons of options...

I don't understand when people choose to go backwards in vehicles. It came with fuel injection, don't go carburetor. Bad!

As penance, I'll take that 5.3. :D

so did you trade the ls for the work done...? [P:D
I love those big old boat anchors... :cool::cool::cool:
No, he had already sold it before I entered the picture :(
I did get the built 4l60E tho [dr
I think a cam change would have been the ticket! Definitely a step back IMO! I know gas is cheap right now but don't think that's gonna last forever... them BB's can really suck it up!:eek:

BoB
It already had this done to it. It sounded badass and ran wicked in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!
I agree on the gas not staying low.

No offense, but that was a dumb move on his part. So much can be done to wake up an LS, and it was already installed and running! Turbo, cam, supercharger, tons of options...

I don't understand when people choose to go backwards in vehicles. It came with fuel injection, don't go carburetor. Bad!

As penance, I'll take that 5.3. :D
No offense taken, i felt the same way.

Latest posts

Back