1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wish I had progress to report as I'm itchin' and twitchin' to get going on the Packard, though the pause gives me time to reflect on the job of piecing it together and dream up new ideas to apply to it. Fer instance, though I'm going to shorten the body 5" in the process of making it into a 2dr., I will keep the 120" wheelbase - this will mean a custom 5" longer hood and sides, possibly stretching the front fenders too. I keep looking at pics of the Caddy and the long front end really works for me (more underhood room too). Another idea in the mental scrapbook is to use exhaust cutouts tied to lake pipe style megaphones sticking out of the hood sides where it would have had the side louvers....:cool:
Anyways, have a couple more weeks of things to get out of the way then it's full steam ahead.

And the right thing to do is stay home this winter ZZ and work on this project so we don't have to wait till spring! Every one agree? [cl

I hear ya, but it's just too nice in Az in the winter - "no snow, no mow, got sand" - the land where sun-baked tin lives forever. Besides, I get to roll around in the new kart there for 3 months or so and work on my tan....:)

Well.......guess I can't blame ya for that. Wish I could head south or west for the winter and its getting close up here in the great white north.
Have fun with that little duce it is so cool and I am sure you will be the envy of the town[cl

Putting Humpty Dumpty together again

Doesn't get much more basic than this - got a couple hours in the garage today and mounted the rear floor/wheelwell section to the dolly. Added a simple brace and tacked the upper quarter section to it - this is where the 3" horizontal section was removed. Eventually the floor will get replaced but for now it provides a semi-square baseline for reconstruction of the rest of the body.

Attachments

• DSC01708.jpg
    DSC01708.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC01709.jpg
    DSC01709.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 185
  • DSC01710.jpg
    DSC01710.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 178
  • DSC01711.jpg
    DSC01711.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 183
Reminds me of the story of the guy that cut up a '32 Ford Coupe and took it home to Europe in suit cases.

What do you use to make all the cuts in the sheet metal?

This is gonna be another world class zz-build.

Thanks Bob.
Most cuts are made with a 5" thin zip- cut wheel on a little Makita right angle grinder. Hard to access places I do with a sabre saw though I have a tough time making straight cuts with it not to mention trying to keep it from jumping out of the cut....:mad:

Amazing

I wouldn't even think about starting there. You obviously can see things most people can't. Me being at the top of that list.

Tacked on the rear half of the roof, nice not to need relief cuts, I think I fluked on cutting it in the right spot. [S
I'll fit the corners of the side and rear windows later - some tweaking may be needed once more of the body comes together.

Attachments

• DSC01712.jpg
    DSC01712.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC01713.jpg
    DSC01713.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 181
  • DSC01714.jpg
    DSC01714.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC01715.jpg
    DSC01715.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 176
I'm shortening the body 5" so it comes out of the rockers - tacked them back together and re-attached the cowl sides to the main cowl piece. Lots more splicing and fitting to do on the front edges of the cowl due to the 3" section being removed. I may end up building a custom removable dash, but at this stage, it's still holding the cowl together.

Attachments

• DSC01716.jpg
    DSC01716.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01717.jpg
    DSC01717.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01719.jpg
    DSC01719.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC01720.jpg
    DSC01720.jpg