New Rodder Here!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gforce65

Hey everyone!
I have experience building/screwing around with cars (mostly muscle), but I'm new to rodding. I'm looking to build a frame from scratch but want to make sure I get the front suspension setup right. I haven't a body yet (or anything for that matter) but want to start getting the details out of the way.

Is there some sort of diagram that explains the setup in detail?

Welcome to RRR, there are a few good books that go over suspension design, but it all depends on what you actually are looking to build...

Thanks for all the support guys!
What I'm looking to do is build a "traditional" rat. What I mean is that I want it to have the I beam front axle look. I have Googled till my eyes rolled back in my head and I'm leaning towards purchasing a whole set up for a model a (or similar). Or course I'm looking to go low budget but not at the expense or looks or safety.... looks come first!
I only thing I'm worried about is if I go that route, I want to make sure I build the frame to the right dimensions.

Hello from Red Deer Alberta, all builds start with a good plan.
And remember things change direction occasionally from that plan.
I know I have changed things in my build plan. Welcome to RRR
Mike

I think your idea of buying the front end complete is a good one for a first time rod builder but I wouldn't start the frame build until I had the body I was going to use. start by setting the body at the ride height you want then mock up where you want the front end to be and the same for the rear end position and motor position, then start your frame build. that way you will know that you have room for the motor and trans and everything else. And it helps if you have the wheels and tires you are going to use on the finished rod at mock up time.

I'm with ya brother... That's exactly how I plan to do it. To me, the hard part is getting a body. After I secure that, I'll pick up a motor & rear (debating on a new rear), Front end......then the rest is history!

Welcome to RRR! Google things like "suicide front end geometry" and "4-link suspension geometry" to get a start on what you need to know. Understanding what does what, will go along way. But, if you start a build thread with lots of pics, we'll all jump in and help.

Latest posts

Back