1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hood Work

Cleaned up that rusty old hood. Some bondo. More than was needed applied by PO. Not a lot of damage. Will be able to straighten out any dents. The louvers will go here.

Attachments

• IMG_3081.jpg
    IMG_3081.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_3090.jpg
    IMG_3090.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3091.jpg
    IMG_3091.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3092.jpg
    IMG_3092.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 61
You do nice work, Gold! [cl

Do you plan to insert the louvered pieces, or punch the hood?

I like your Supertrapp/cycle mufflers, if I haven't mentioned that before.

Thanks Dr. The super traps were free at a flee market. They were beat and needed some metal shaping to get in order.

Santa might bring me a Eastwood solid rivet kit. :rolleyes: and if he does I have a plan to insert/mount the lovers. I don't want to punch the hood, There isn't enough room to maneuver in the garage, and I'm chicken. Lol

Hey Solz,
My garage is so small I don't have room to lay the hood out and get everything lined up properly to punch the hood. :eek: Large one car garage really. I have to push the truck to one side or the other when I'm working on it. I need to lift the box off, but don't have room to put it anywhere and I won't put it out in the snow. I chopped the cab, replaced the floor boards, built suicide front end, Z'd the rear frame and installed four link, etc with out ever taking the truck apart. [;) I get jealous when I see guys tear their trucks down and start to build. The truck was built on my portable frame table but has never been disassembled.

All this time I have bought more tools and now I have to step outside to change my mind! ;). My brother and a few local hot rod guys came around last year. Everyone was trying to figure out how the truck was built in such a small space. It takes a lot of patience. It's easy to hurt yourself when working in such tight quarters. The build was a roller before I was able to move it out in front of the house to see the lines and proportion of the design.

The lovers will be a add on to the hood. Since the truck is open engine the Louvre will not be "open". They are just a design element to give some detail to the top of the hood. I built the Louvre tools just as a project. No real plan to use them on the truck but I like how they look on the hood.

I understand the one car garage shuffle.
I'm 65 and up until 30 years ago I felt lucky if I had a one car garage to work in :)
I now have a 60 footer and feel like an ape in a berry patch [ddd

Mount the lovers [S in the garage [S

It's a Canadian thing soltz .........[ddd :D
Looking great Gold.[cl
Punching the lovers in a panel is a good idea as that old Ford hood is pretty stout metal. Fairly close to 16 gauge.
Can't wait to see pics of it.
Torchie

Radiator mount

Hey guys, what are you using for lower radiator mounts? I have the radiator built and need to fab up a lower mount. It aluminium if that makes a difference.

Hey Solz,
My garage is so small I don't have room to lay the hood out and get everything lined up properly to punch the hood. :eek: Large one car garage really.
I hear ya gold, i too have to work in a one car, but i don't have snow out the back door. It's a drive through with a shad canopy out back. :D
we do what we can do [S

Trucks looking great, i take a 3M pad or two to mine when the rains gone, it's outside with a cover.:cool:
Spring is not far out, i hope :rolleyes:

Been a while

The flathead is up and running.

See the link for a possible Youtube vid... if I can make it work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEsB7fPcneU&feature=youtu.be

The Laker headers I built sound great, the mufflers seem to make a nice low rumble.:) I installed a radiator from Speedway after converting a side flow for a Chev to a flathead configuration. Almost 20 years since it ran more than just on the driveway five years ago and it seems pretty strong. needs a oil leak repaired on the bottom of the oil pan but other than that the engine seems good.

I have been real busy and not a lot of time to work on this project but am set to go again this winter.

Wow !
It's the ghost of Christmas past. :D
To the best of my knowledge the oil capacity is 5 quarts via information from the manuals. Some of the earlier V-8 60's ran 4 quarts but the 85 Hp ones ran 5.
Your 100 hp should run 5 as well.
I don't believe that the pan capacity was different weather it was in a big or little truck or car. They did change the shape of the pan later on.
Good to see you back brother. [cl
Torchie.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back