English Wheel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroadrolls

A friend of ours went to school to learn the English Wheel.
He dropped off the wheel tooling and a rough print of the structure.
This is what he ended up with. Took pretty much all day to build.

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 140
I'd think he'd like that for sure!

That should work out fine....do the casters have the locks? Or will it sit flat...

That looks great!

Just curious, are the top and bottom wheel parallel or at a slight angle? An old feller told me once that they are much easier to work with when the bottom wheel is off by 2-3°.

not sure what kind of panels will be made on it , but I`d rotate the wheels 90`
The way it`s now ,you will hit the frame real quick.

That looks great!

Just curious, are the top and bottom wheel parallel or at a slight angle? An old feller told me once that they are much easier to work with when the bottom wheel is off by 2-3°.

not sure what that`s based on... when using full radius anvils, it wouldn`t make much difference, but with flat centre wheels all you would create is tracks...

not sure what that`s based on... when using full radius anvils, it wouldn`t make much difference, but with flat centre wheels all you would create is tracks...

The old guy told me that if the wheel and the anvil are parallel, it's harder to move the panel around. If they're off that little bit, he said that it takes a lot less work. You might not realize it but it will wear you out sooner.

Sure enough, if you look at old english wheels most of them have that slight angle on the anvil. Most of the ones I've seen, anyways. But now I know to look for it.

It still makes the same deformation on your panel, it just takes a lot less elbow grease to move it around, apparently.

We just built the stand that holds the tooling heads etc. Our customer bought the stuff at Hoosier Profiles http://hoosierprofiles.com Then brought it to us with a print of what the stand was to be built as.
There is plenty of adjustment in the tooling head so you could get that couple of degrees your talking about.

Cool!

Not knocking your work, looks like you did a bang up job! [;)

nice start! [cl

Thanks Dutch!

I have 2 of those side cut out. They will be plated inside and out with 3/8"x6" flat stock so it will look like a bent I beam. Still haven't figured out how I will bend the 3/8" plate....[S

Latest posts

Back