Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A

Frame/Suspension/Brake... Talk & Q&A All things... Frame/Suspension/Brake

Old 08-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default Jeep axle side swap

I picked up a front axle out of a '90 Comanche and I'm just in the planning stages right now, on the best way to get it under the Ghia. I really need to get the steering behind the axle so all the crud isn't hanging out front. And, so I can still use the rack and pinion I've already been using. Is it possible to swap the spindles,(or whatever they're called nowadays) from one side to the other, without totally screwing up the geometry of the steering?? It'll be mounted using leaf springs so I've got some homework to do on where to roll the axle as far as the caster is concerned. It's more the camber that concerns me. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried swapping sides and how'd it work. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170803_174020a.jpg (50.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 20170803_173008a.jpg (212.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

If the rack and pinion has been used originally on the back it'll work but, if you have to move it from front to back, it'll steer in the wrong direction.

Last edited by Old Iron; 08-06-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Old Iron, yessir, that's right. The r and p is behind the VW axle now, so to keep the steering where it is, on the Jeep axle, I'd have to move it out front. That ain't gonna happen. I've got about eight inches from the center of the VW axle to the very front of the car.
I just came in from knocking everything apart. The spindles do fit on the wrong sides, and work back and forth as they should. Just eyeballing it, I can't see anything that won't work. I guess if I don't hear otherwise, by the time the axle is mounted under the car, it'll get tried like this. All it can do is eat up a good set of tires.
Next question: (I may need to start a different thread) I've got a set of leaf springs from under an old snowmobile trailer that are the perfect length for this thing. 28" total length. The trailer was rated for 1,000 lbs, so I'm thinking the springs should be just right for the weight. The 429 weighs in about 750 and along with everything else considered, it may be a little over a thousand on the front. If the springs are not "heavy" enough, could I use a set of coil-over shocks to get it up?? I'm not looking for any handling increases, I just want to go straight and not put the ole head into the roof anymore. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.