Triangulated 4 link

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzz

Livin' the rat roddin' lifestyle
I have built a few rods with straight 4 link and panhard bar but never a triangulated 4 bar rear suspension. Wondering if it is weaker as far as cornering? Any body know of any draw backs to this system. I'll be putting this under a 3000 lb truck that I will abuse on the street...[ddd

If you have doubts about the strength, just go larger. I've used a triangulated four bar under two cars now, though I don't really have a very heavy foot I'm running a slightly warmed 350.

Rock crawlers use them too, as well as those super fast desert racer things, as it is the best, and simplest system to do the job.

I like to run the lower bars direct for and aft, and the top ones triangulated. The lower ones are what push your car along, whereas the top ones are usually just under tension and act like a sort of panhard rod.

The first car the bars were made for me by a friend, I just made and fitted the brackets etc.

IMG_2227.jpg

IMG_2228.jpg

On my current project I made the bars myself, ordered the rose joints and end inserts from Summit and used some 3/16" wall seamless 'pressure pipe' for the tubing. They aren't ever going to bend.... [;)

e87e3da6.jpg

Hey Fuzz.....I've used these guy's 4 link triangulated system under two cars now. I don't think you could fab up the parts for what they charge for the whole kit. Not to mention the deal you guys would get with the current exchange rate!

http://welderseries.com/blog/

A triangulated 4 link will actually stay centered better than a straight 4 link with a Panhard bar since the panhard bar moves in an arc - the shorter it is, the more side to side movement you'll get as the suspension moves up and down.

I build my own heavy duty 4 link arms using Energy Suspension poly bushings for 70's Chevy pickup rear leafs. Make my own brackets and use SCH 40 tube, grade 8 bolts, 1" grade 8 NF bolts and nuts welded in for adjusters. Here's pics of a couple ones I've made. A lot of the 4 link kits I see out there just seem spindly to me...

Attachments

• DSC00516.jpg
    DSC00516.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 53
  • nov 27 09 rat 55 002.jpg
    nov 27 09 rat 55 002.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Back