I beam or tube??

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken47int

So, I've got a new project and I'm gathering parts that I don't have and need. I've been looking at front ends from speedway. I've never used a tube front axel and was wondering what is the general opinion? I'd kinda prefer a I beam axel but they only carry them for the ford spindles. If I use a tube axel I have the option between Chevy and ford spindles. My main concern is strength. I'm going to more then likely run a small block so nothing super heavy up front.

Always a forged I-beam. WAY better looks, strength and resale value. You don't want to use Chevy spindles anyway. Lots of options out there for the Ford. Besides, I would never trust a Speedway Chinese made part with my life...

Thanks for the response, the truck I have now has a Chevy front end on it off of who knows what. It works great and I'm sure stronger then most modern beams a lil bulky tho. Which brand beams have you been using? I was looking at the super bell beams and noticed the some of the beams speedway has are manufactured by them

What's wrong with Chevy spindles? Lots of kits out there to fit them.... Speedway isn't the only one selling tube axles - The Magnum 4" drop tube is a great piece with forged drop ends fitted to a tube center section, I've used one before, very tough and good looking. I guess all the gasser dudes running tube axles must be living dangerously :rolleyes:

What's wrong with Chevy spindles? Lots of kits out there to fit them.... Speedway isn't the only one selling tube axles - The Magnum 4" drop tube is a great piece with forged drop ends fitted to a tube center section, I've used one before, very tough and good looking. I guess all the gasser dudes running tube axles must be living dangerously :rolleyes:

1) Chevy spindles are ugly. No kit fixes that. My $.02

2) Well aware that Speedway is not the only company selling tube axles, however the OP was asking about Speedway axles in particular, thus my statement. If the "gasser dudes" are running Speedway axles then yes, they are most certainly living dangerously. I have seen FAR too may of them fail, and that merits more than an eye roll. :rolleyes: There are plenty of quality tube axles out there, and when you compare them to the junk offered by Speedway the difference is obvious. Just for starters, Speedway axles do NOT have flagged kingpin bosses which is a huge weak point. You are essentially putting the heaviest portion of the vehicle against a Chinese butt weld. Couple that with any amount of performance and yeah, you could say you are "living dangerously". If anyone would like to research how a welded tube axle SHOULD be built I would recommend checking out www.waccustoms.com . Bill is an amazing fabricator who custom builds tube axles for race cars of all sorts. He has outfitted many cars with quality American made parts after Speedway fails...

Thanks for the response, the truck I have now has a Chevy front end on it off of who knows what. It works great and I'm sure stronger then most modern beams a lil bulky tho. Which brand beams have you been using? I was looking at the super bell beams and noticed the some of the beams speedway has are manufactured by them

As long as the axle is 100% identified as a forged unit you will be fine.

Ford used tube axles in 1936 on the V8-60 models.

Nothing wrong with a good tube axle. A smooth chromed tube axle looks good on anything. There are probably thousands of them in use. Now, I don't know the quality of the Speedway axles, or who makes them, but wouldn't doubt they are outsourced to China. There is some good stuff that comes from China, and a lots of crap, too. It's probably a crapshoot with them. I've heard others like SoCal, Pete and Jakes, and others use outsourced products too, so who do you trust? A gennie Ford forged axle is known to be strong, but may require rebuilding the king pins and straightening the beam if it's twisted. Not many people can work on them anymore, it's almost a lost trade. Some big semi shops might handle it for you.

A gennie Ford forged axle is known to be strong, but may require rebuilding the king pins and straightening the beam if it's twisted. Not many people can work on them anymore, it's almost a lost trade. Some big semi shops might handle it for you.

The gennie Ford axle is by far the best way to go IMO. Nostalgia Sid's in Oklahoma is an EXCELLENT source for them. I have used several of his axles and they are top notch. Super nice guy to boot! After he drops and straightens them they are also magnafluxed and primed before he sends them out. Highly recommended! If you don't have an original to exchange his core charges are very reasonable. Website is www.droppedaxles.com

You will also know EXACTLY where they were made. ;)

I did some shopping around and found some axels. I'm going to get one of the original ford for axels and the 4' superbell axel. I can't beat the price for both of them and I can decide which one will work best as I'm building it. Thanks for all the input

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 18
Glad to hear it, never really felt quite safe with a tube. Put more faith in an i-beam, especially when your life could depend on it!

Beercan

Yeah beercan, I kinda felt the same about it. I see a lot of the tube beams around so I figured I'd ask. This forum is great because you get a lot of opinions and answers to make some decisions.

Latest posts

Back