Can I make this steering setup safe?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ags111075

I picked up my 32 ford couple weeks ago. I went for my first drive today its all over the road. If u go 25-30 its ok anything more its wonders all over the road. Should I start over or try to fix this set up? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20110724_212656.jpg
    IMG_20110724_212656.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20110724_212641.jpg
    IMG_20110724_212641.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 139
Lets see the rest of the set up. As far as the chain goes, is there alot of play between the steering wheel and movment of the front wheels? It looks as if there may be.

Are those pipe fittings in there??????? :eek: Definitely START OVER. Please don't take this as flaming, but that setup is scarey as h***.

There are a couple of areas where people shouldn't try to reinvent the wheel, steering is one, brakes is another. That contraption has to go, period.:eek:

Don

Last edited:
The safest thing to do with that setup is to cut it off the car and mount it on a wall of shame somehwere, Hey that may be an Idea for a new Thread,"Death Trap Devices".

I agree. Chain steer is already just a little loosey goosey to begin with, just because of the lash between the sprocket and chain. Add cheap plumbing fittings and no tellin what else, I wouldn't trust it to drive around the block. Sometimes what looks cool can get you killed.

First of all, that's not a '32 Ford, so not sure what is going on here.

Secondly, if this is serious then you are lucky to have made it down the driveway. Do NOT get that thing anywhere near a road until it is totally reconstructed. There look to be multiple issues with the front end as well, and if someone thought that steering was a good idea then I cringe at what could be lurking elsewhere...

I have to agree with blue eye devil. That front end also looks scary. That a 3 bar setup to the front axle and is it bent at a 90 degree angle?

Can you show us more pictures of the steering and front end? We are not here to blast you but we want to help you make it a safe ride.

Believe me I have seen stuff out there that I would never set in and to think that its going down the road not only a possibility of harming the drive but everyone it passes.

Thanks guys all that stuff is getting thrown in the garbage. I'm sure I will have a lot of questions when I get this junk off of there and start over.

Blue eyed devil can you tell what year this is? The previous owner had the DMV inspect it and they issued a 1932 title. Thanks Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_20110703_111055.jpg
    IMG_20110703_111055.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 96
Why would you do that? Why not put the arm directly onto the steering box? :confused:

Of course, the box is the wrong hand, so it would steer wrong, but then why not get a correct box? [S

It would surely have been easier than building this abortion, unless it is all part of the current 'desperate to be different' movement? :rolleyes:

I have to commend you for your good attitude about the criticism we have offered about that setup. A lesser man would have his fur all ruffled and would be taking a defensive stance about it, but you didn't do that. Very cool. :)

Did you just buy this car? It sounds that way from what you stated about just getting it home. If so, please post up some detailed pictures of as much of it as you can so that we can try to offer our collective opinions of what else might need changed or revamped. There might be some things we say that you don't necessarily want to hear, but we care about your safety and the safety of the other people who might be on the same road as you.

No hot rod is perfect, they all have flaws and little handling quirks. All we can try to do is minimize those to an acceptable level. The nice thing about this particular forum is that you will get the advice your best friends would offer, and no one is going to slam you for asking questions.

Don

I just got the car a couple of weeks ago. Had to rebuild the motor, the cam also had two flat lobes. This is my first rat rod i'm learning as i go. I have no money in this car (got it through trading) so i expected to dump money into fixing other peoples mistakes. I know people rip on things it doesn't bother me. I will get some more pics posted probably won't be till this weekend.

Latest posts

Back