Using a Dodge Dakota Frame?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SideShow

I’ve got a wrecked (front end, no frame damage) 2001 Dakota Quad Cab Short Bed and was planning on parting it out to raise funds for my next project. I hadn’t even considered using it to build a rod, but found some references on other sites using an S-10 or Dakota, and now my creative juices are flowing.

The Dakota, like the S-10 will make for an ugly front end and should be covered with fenders but also am excited about the potential extra room in the rig due to rack and pinion steering. What thoughts do you all have as to a body to hunt for that will have a like wheel base and track width? Do I have any reasonable option besides a 40's or 50's truck body? I'd prefer a roadster, but can't think of any good options that will have fenders and still look right.

Also, this Dakota has the 3.7 V-6 in it and is a tight motor. If I opt to bump to a V-8, are there any options that will bolt up to the existing tranny in this truck, or will a V-8 spin the poor thing apart?

Have any of you used the Dakota frame? What did you go with for a body? V-6 or V-8? Any problems, suggestions or photos to pass along?

Sounds like you know already about the full fenders to help cover the front end suspension. Seems like you can run about anything if you don't mind moving the rear axle forward, or cuting the frame.

only thing ive read or heard not good is availability of parts for lowering and such versus the s10 but heard are veryyyyy strong, and the rack and pinion sureeeee is a positive thing, wish i had went that way.

loner

If it is a complete truck (Only frontend damage) I would use the factory driveline. R&P steering is a + for sure. Find a body that you like and make it work.

If you have torches and a welder, and maybe a big hammer or two, you can always make it fit...:D

Dakota is a lot wider than the s-10. later model stuff (mid-late 50's?) would be a better fit on the dakota than the s-10

Latest posts

Back