Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the trip to canton and let me tell you, there is a reason I drove older cars. I rented a new camry because it was 15 hours one way after all. the weather was crud and suddenly the cruise control disconnected (while cruising), a message on the cluster said the radar sensor was dirty. I looked in the owners manual at the next stop and it said to clean the sensor just spray water in the grille.

well, it was 16 degrees and there was a distinct lack of available places to spray water with.

normally this isnt a problem because you just pick overdrive and feather your foot, right? except this car had an 8 spd transmission and the top 3 gears were overdrive, so what happened is I would bleed off some speed and step on the gas slightly to pick it back up, and the car would downshift once or even thrice from 8th to 5th. now my slight press was a part throttle jump. I spent the better part of 800 miles see/sawing from 63-77mph. miserable.

add to that the door panel angle was such that resting my arm on it hit my elbow wrong, I just found out today I have cubital tunnel in my left elbow from it, weak grip strength and partial numbness in two fingers. yay.

anyway, I started to figure out the hubcaps. the rally caps fit fine

IMG_2445 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I got five dented caps, so with one to spare I dug out a 41 cap to test with.

IMG_2437 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2441 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

its just slightly proud of the wheel, I think I may try to get it in a bit. maybe I am being nit picky about something most people wouldnt even notice.

then I worked on the hood latch panel. it was bent from the wreck and I considered a new one but it is $180 and that just offends sensibility to buy something to replace something else that with a little work will fit as well. I bolted it in left to right and let the stress of bolts pull it back to shape.

IMG_2426 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2427 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

hood shuts, the passenger side has a little gap that I might be able to do something about.

IMG_2428 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2429 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2430 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I sanded all the old paint off, straightened the emblem and bobs my uncle.
IMG_2446 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I learned on the last truck that installing the filler neck was better as a stick through than a bolt on, too many things to get perfect if you bolt it to the bedside. I use pinch welt on the rough cut and it works out nice, and you can remove and replace the bed without trying to get past the running boards and aprons and bedsides from below to get the filler neck loose.

I shortened the rubber hose about 4 inches and took another 3 out of the steel neck. should work a treat.

IMG_2442 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2443 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2444 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

should get the cab corners ground down and the bed back on tomorrow. things should really fly after that, then its interior and bed wood and running boards, lights etc.

Those Wheels look really good. I was thinking about trying to find some old Ford hubcaps to put on the 65 I'm finishing up. They're shiny caps they sell just don't fit the bill. Keep it up

Everything is looking great.
And don't even get me started on the newer cars. I tell my wife that her car has got more S$#% on it then a space shuttle.
[P [P [P

thanks burger, I felt the twinge every time I put my arm on the door. it shouldnt last long, the only thing I notice is a little weakness in my hand, putting a drill bit in a keyless chuck is funny, if funny can be taken to mean mildly frustrating, as you watch your fingers jumble up instead of hold tight. its already better than it was. could take a year to be 100% again. lesson learned.

lowbudget, the last set I ordered was for a friends ford unibody, and back then mobsteel actually picked up his ford dogdish caps and modified them to work. I tried to get them to do the same to these and the guy who did it doesnt work there any more. these are the caps he used.

Set-4-1960s-1-2-Ton-Ford-pickup-bottle.jpg

I sanded the welds on the cab corners down flush and put the bed back on.

IMG_2448 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

if a job is worth doing, well just do it again dummy. :lol:

IMG_2451 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

after my royal dumbness took another two inches out of the rubber hose, finally we had the right stickout. I used some pinch welting to finish the job, keeps the neck from rattling.

IMG_2462 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

painted the seat frame, nothing fancy to show except the excellent color match.

IMG_2450 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

did the running board seals, for guys who havent yet let me run it down. the seal goes on top of the cab lip which has holes drilled in it, the screws pass through the holes upward through the rubber of the seal and into the mounting plate. this can be as fun as a pineapple enema. I find the best way to do it though is to drill through the rubber into the mounting plate in three places, screwing them down tight so they arent proud of the rubber. then drill through the rubber at the locations of the mount plate holes. then its simple to install as an assembly.

IMG_2464 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2465 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2466 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

last thing for the night I cut the filler... uh.. filler.

IMG_2467 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

tomorrow I will mount the running boards and try buttoning up the interior. then maybe lights if I have time.

My wheels are Wheel Vintiques and I had Wheelsmith modify the caps for them. Lots of wheel manufacturers use similar center cap dimensions, so for some people getting Wheelsmith to modify the caps might be an option. They did basically what you did, remove the ring from the back and weld on a new one to fit the right pattern.

thanks sno!

I did contact wheelsmith about the caps before I decided to go this route, they wanted 180ea. to quote george costanza "Why should I pay, when if I apply myself, maybe I could get it for free?" in this case it isnt "free" because the gmc caps were $36 ea, but still. thats a lot of ducks! wheel vintiques makes chevrolet caps with the rally style attachment but I have doubts they would fit.

also, if someone wants to use the clip on style old truck caps, I have figured out that the caps will fit flat to the rim and mobsteel charges a small amount to drill and tap the rims for caps. I will do this if I use these again.

running boards: the truck was a flatbed so it had the shorty running boards. the bed trailer had the rest, it was a matter of measuring once, cutting twice, and putting them together.

IMG_2469 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2471 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2474 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2477 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I know there are lots of ways to make running board mounts but I havent ever done anything but use the original mounts trimmed to fit the s10 frame.

IMG_2507 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2509 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
56633709204__904D0FCB-C846-4693-B8C9-7C0889735BBE by Joe Doh, on Flickr

worked on the lights too. the 98+ trucks use a ground triggered dual bulb setup for high/low/DRL so I dont try to fight it. I use a dual bulb headlight and modify the buckets to use the new retainer.

IMG_2512 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2511 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the ring fits correctly, its just not screwed on.

and in the cosmic balance, there is only one constant. first, the rad showed signs of leaking.

IMG_2499 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

second, I wetsanded the dash with some 2k and the can of crystal clear enamel I took off the shelf actually just said enamel, so I put a nice black stripe on the dash. :rolleyes: quitting time.

thanks sno!

I did contact wheelsmith about the caps before I decided to go this route, they wanted 180ea. to quote george costanza "Why should I pay, when if I apply myself, maybe I could get it for free?" in this case it isnt "free" because the gmc caps were $36 ea, but still. thats a lot of ducks! wheel vintiques makes chevrolet caps with the rally style attachment but I have doubts they would fit.

also, if someone wants to use the clip on style old truck caps, I have figured out that the caps will fit flat to the rim and mobsteel charges a small amount to drill and tap the rims for caps. I will do this if I use these again.

$180?!?!?! WHOA!

I paid $35ea for my hubcaps and I paid wheelsmith maybe $15ea to modify them. At that price it wasn't worth my time to do it myself. I was told the trick is not to tell them they're going on a different brand of wheel. My wheel vendor told me what to ask for and they gladly did them.

he has the gmc caps shown on the website so I just asked for a gmc cap that would fit a rallye center and that is what he quoted. but I am glad I didnt buy them because they probably wouldnt fit the mobsteels, the way the caps fit needs more length like the way I welded them on. they could probably do it, but I bet it would be more than 15ea anyway. especially by the time I ship them there and back for sure anyway.

I am certain clips would work. I have a set of clips I bought years ago somewhere, I may just try to find them and drill/tap to attach them.

he has the gmc caps shown on the website so I just asked for a gmc cap that would fit a rallye center and that is what he quoted. but I am glad I didnt buy them because they probably wouldnt fit the mobsteels, the way the caps fit needs more length like the way I welded them on. they could probably do it, but I bet it would be more than 15ea anyway. especially by the time I ship them there and back for sure anyway.

I am certain clips would work. I have a set of clips I bought years ago somewhere, I may just try to find them and drill/tap to attach them.

Ah, my caps the rings on the back were bigger than the wheels I have. So no way they would fit without modification.

thanks!

I decided to use some fiberglass filler on the larger dents, so I rolled the truck out
IMG_2547 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2567 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2569 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

you can see in there I was sanding for the gauges again, I painted it and everything was fine until it started drying, then the passenger side solvent popped on the old paint.

IMG_2550 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

since the blend line beside the gauges was bothering me anyway, I did what any normal idiot would do and PAINTED IT AGAIN.

IMG_2558 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2566 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

set up the bed wood and installed it and the tailgate.
56676816716__BB4DBA3D-7116-4A95-8E11-E1E8897ED2FC by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2561 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_2562 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

dug out a rear bumper for this, I think I will get it and the taillights on tomorrow.

IMG_2565 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back