Bits and pieces, Leslie's car.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got the engine fired up tonight, got the timing adjusted, I think I got the carbs dialed in, and the cooling system burped. The transmission is still leaking from the bell housing but not nearly as bad as it was. I’m almost wondering if maybe the torque converter isn’t seated as far in as it should. So this weekend, I’m going to pull the bolts from the flex plate and see if I can slide the torque converter back anymore. If that’s the case, I’ll have to pull the engine again and add a shim between the flex plate and crank. Have I mentioned how much I hate automatics?

So I got the engine fired up tonight, got the timing adjusted, I think I got the carbs dialed in, and the cooling system burped. The transmission is still leaking from the bell housing but not nearly as bad as it was. I’m almost wondering if maybe the torque converter isn’t seated as far in as it should. So this weekend, I’m going to pull the bolts from the flex plate and see if I can slide the torque converter back anymore. If that’s the case, I’ll have to pull the engine again and add a shim between the flex plate and crank. Have I mentioned how much I hate automatics?

Automatics are eazy when the cooperate, when not good luck.
On a better note your build is coming along nicely !!! (Clapping Hands)

I said to hell with it, pulled the engine again and I will be rebuilding the transmission and front pump. Trying to find the bushings for this thing was a pain but I did find them. Unfortunately, I decided to separate the torque converter to see how bad the seal was and low and behold, half of the fins are damaged or missing. So now, I am on the hunt for a torque converter for the old Ford-o-Matic.

what year and is the trans a 2 or 3 speed, l got some people who may know where to get one, friend collects fords and a couple of hoarders, so MAYBE l can get one/find one.

Later :cool:

Got some pictures of the grenaded tc. And seeing as you guys like carnage as much as the next, here they are.

Attachments

• 6ADBF0A6-7475-4A79-A5DE-ADDED5545908.jpg
    6ADBF0A6-7475-4A79-A5DE-ADDED5545908.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 6286A64B-3428-4736-A8A5-30B857280C57.jpg
    6286A64B-3428-4736-A8A5-30B857280C57.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 22
  • CEE03020-10D1-423A-A256-DD61FD5F8C38.jpg
    CEE03020-10D1-423A-A256-DD61FD5F8C38.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 22
Got some good news. A guy out of Tulsa has a complete transmission out of his running/driving 57 ford that he’s gonna let me have. He swapped over to a 351 and AOD a couple of years ago and it’s been sitting in his garage since. Just need to get it shipped to me which isn’t as bad on price as I thought it would be. I’ll still be looking for another tc for the trans I already have but seeing as I have a few other Y-blocks without trans’ I’ll be able to use it eventually.

Got the transmission all tore apart and cleaned. Waiting for a few more pieces and then I can start putting it back together. Should work like a brand new tranny when I am finished. Might have found a place to rebuild the converter but they need me to bring it to them to see if they can or not. I’m still getting the other transmission because I don’t have one for my other 312.

Transmission is almost back together. Everything but the front pump. Mine was really gouged out so I found a good used one that needed only a minor rebuild. Bushing and seal should be here on Tuesday and I’ll get it put together and installed. Today I put the first few coats of primer on the case, bellhousing, and tail shaft. When the primer dries I’ll get a coat of black on her. Once she’s all finished, I’ll get her back in the car. I was able to find a used, rebuildable converter out of Washington, which should come sometime this week. I’ll get it pulled apart, inspected, and resealed if it checks out. Then the engine will go back in and I can test run it on stands as there’s a bunch of snow on the ground currently.

Latest posts

Back