The Stumpy Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the link. Nice to know the options.

I figured a 12" would be the best option for me.
The one you linked in 5" is a better price but not enough length. Their 10" is spendy though and probably not enough

They're totally different solutions that accomplish the same purpose. The posies is double D and gear driven, while the Steer Clear is chain driven with splined shafts. So it's easy to see why the Posies gets much more expensive for the longer version.

Further thinking on the steering drop - you could always create a chain drive drop to whatever length you need.... bearings,sprockets and chain - some salvage yard trolling might turn up the pieces for cheap, I know there have been chain drive steering setups done on some builds here on UDsleds..[S

Here's one - search for "chain steering"

attachment.php

Attachments

• 5023209162_13c12b5b04_z.jpg
    5023209162_13c12b5b04_z.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 118
I didn't forget about Stumpy Truck. I got the steer clear and started putting it in then got busy with everything else the rest of the week. Nothing worthy of pictures yet. Back to work tomorrow.

Steer clear installed. What a pain in the @$$. It took way longer than it should have. Its angled, tilted, canted and generally crooked. But that was the only way to get it in there and clear the exhaust and not put the steering box u-joint in a bind. I'm not sure which steering column I'm going to use. I've got on e from a 75 Oldsmobile that is out, or I can pull the one out of the parts car 75 Eldorado. This would give me tilt and telescoping. The car Stumpy started with didn't have a column when I sold it to him. I also have a column from an old Mopar motorhome that doesn't tilt but also no lever for a column shifter. But I definitely want one with self cancelling turn signals.
First I had to put some plate back on the floor that Stumpy had cut out too much. It's not super tight to the floor but it should work. [;)

I'll probably weld a small tab on to put a bolt in the last hole when I make the engine cover.

Attachments

• 20200206_211048.jpg
    20200206_211048.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200206_211014.jpg
    20200206_211014.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200206_211124.jpg
    20200206_211124.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 38
Looks like its gonna work out. I like those 70's GM columns, they don't have the plastic shroud like later 80's ones and they're not too hard to shorten. I like the Caddy ones cause they often have tilt and telescope, only bummer is that steering wheel adapters are expensive for the telescoping ones.

Looks like its gonna work out. I like those 70's GM columns, they don't have the plastic shroud like later 80's ones and they're not too hard to shorten. I like the Caddy ones cause they often have tilt and telescope, only bummer is that steering wheel adapters are expensive for the telescoping ones.
I've been fighting the Eldorado column for a few hours. No key so I need to change the ignition switch. I finally got it out and then the Beers won and I called it a night. LOL.
I'm not seeing how to remove the column shift mechanism but maybe tomorrow I can get it the rest of the way down and shortened.

I love this truck:(:(

On to better news I posted on Fakebook looking for a Yellow bed to match the cab. A guy responded and sent pics of an early GMC bed with tailgate. It has angled top rails so not sure exact year range. But the pics look like a good match to the cab. The only bad part is he wants $400. Which is more than I wanted to pay. It is probably negotiable or see if I can find a trade for him.

Your truck used the flat bed rail bed from '54 up the one you're talking about is '53 back but, it'll work just fine.
The '54 and '55 first series fenders were also different (same as the'53 back) which won't be the best fit for your cab. You can change the fenders to second series '55 up tho.
$400 is a good price. A friend of mine gave $400 just for the '54 sides.
Another way to go is a short wide bed.
Too bad we're so far apart, I have a '55 GMC bed with fenders. It's not yellow tho

Your truck used the flat bed rail bed from '54 up the one you're talking about is '53 back but, it'll work just fine.
The '54 and '55 first series fenders were also different (same as the'53 back) which won't be the best fit for your cab. You can change the fenders to second series '55 up tho.
$400 is a good price. A friend of mine gave $400 just for the '54 sides.
Another way to go is a short wide bed.
Too bad we're so far apart, I have a '55 GMC bed with fenders. It's not yellow tho

My buddy picked up a red trailer with title made from a 57 Chevy truck with no tailgate for $150. I also found a bed that would be a good candidate for $100 but it is green. So when he hit me at $400 he knew I wanted it because the color matches my cab.
And I would like the 55 up fenders ( now that I know the year difference) but beggars and choosers and all that.

And in my mind I'm only using the sides and fenders spread out to match the cab. Not sure what the tailgate is going to end up looking like yet.

Steering wheel installed and hooked up. It even works.
I was messing with the Eldorado column, changing key switch etc and my buddy showed up and was like "why you spending so much time on that column?" All I could come up with was "tilt and telescoping". He said "just do the motorhome one and get it installed and get moving on the truck". So no tilt or telescoping but installed at last.

Attachments

• 20200209_000515.jpg
    20200209_000515.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200209_000521.jpg
    20200209_000521.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 36
looking good, that steering coupler looks like it will work.

So when he hit me at $400 he knew I wanted it because the color matches my cab.

:rolleyes: that happens to me too, bird in the hand and all that. I am not to proud to try and color match though, between rustoleum and krylon there are a lot of colors. :D

I got the bed home today. About a 900 mile round trip to help my buddy deliver a car. Then pick up this bed on the way home. Nothing else to update on Stumpy except this bed is now at my house. Pics are at the guy's house where I got it.

I traded a set of axles for it that were worth way more than he was asking for the bed. He offered a 1927 Tudor to help make up the difference in value so of course I loaded it up. No pics of it until tomorrow when it comes out of the trailer.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_2.jpg
    imagejpeg_2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 36
  • imagejpeg_4.jpg
    imagejpeg_4.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 28
  • imagejpeg_3.jpg
    imagejpeg_3.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 71

Latest posts

Back